Cube Malting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Takes bugger all effort with a better result. You only need to boil for 5mins.
Yeah you're probably right. Probably just putting some grains in a regular $10 woolies kettle would work pretty well actually, and just about as lazy.

dent said:
Yeah you're probably right. Probably just putting some grains in a regular $10 woolies kettle would work pretty well actually, and just about as lazy.
Mmmm

OK results are in.

I poured this cube in the fermenter with a litre or two of nottingham slurry, and fermented it capped to 20 psi or so over four days ranging from 16 to 22 degrees, then chilled and filtered since I needed a keg for another gathering.

The beer turned out great. The choc malt came out beautifully, with a malt aroma that is actually a lot more prominent than I usually get. The dark malt character was refined and not at all harsh. The beer was clearly in the porter category in the end. It was enjoyed by many and down the keg was sucked.

So I consider the experiment a success so far. I will have to compare this sometime with the post-no-chill steeping method in a kitchen kettle or whatever - I wonder if the extra time the grain has spent with the wort makes a difference to the end result. But, in the meantime, I brewed another big batch, and one cube has some Dingeman's Aromatic, and another with some dark crystal.

These will also get some more time sitting around before pitching, so those of you waiting for me to enjoy some swollen cubes will get your chance.

OK here's the swollen cube update - no swollen cubes. All were eventually fermented out and, save for one which I only pitched a couple days ago, have turned into excellent beers (the aromatic was particularly good).

So I'm doing four more cubes today.

For a while I was doing double batches and would treat the 2 cubes differently. Regularly I would cube hop them drastically differently, sometimes I would add Steeped specialty malts or adjuncts (belgian candy sugar) and add during the fermentation. I did a Dubbel and an american IPA in one batch by using a lot of cube hopping highish AA hops in the IPA and steeping spec malts into the Dubbel. Of course they used different yeasts. I won a comp with a black rye IPA that I brewed 2 cubes of. The first I brewed and tasted; I decided what I needed to do to make the second one just perfect and did just that using steeping of spec grains and boiling up some more late hops as well as adding some belgian candy sugar. It really worked out well.

I've often added spec grains at the end of the mash instead of the begining. I find that they come across smoother but more flavoursome at the same time. The enzymes in the mash break down different starches, complex sugars and carbohydrates, why wouldn't they be breaking down the complex sugars in the spec malts we go through so much effort in getting there in the first place?

Awesome experiment, dent. It's always good to know we homebrewers have some other tricks to add to our repertoire.

I guess it's possible that there is a enzymatic change to the coloured malt flavours in the mash. Seems plenty of old timey english brewers put black malt directly in the kettle. They weren't into crystal malts in those days. The porter I tried this method with was pretty good. When brewing imperial stouts I have started putting the black malts in end-mash since the large quantity of dark malt screws up the pH; I'm not interested in putting carbonates in there.

Thanks jyo. You'll be happy to know that this method seems to have no effect on the haziness of the beer. So you've got nothing to worry about.

dent said:
Thanks jyo. You'll be happy to know that this method seems to have no effect on the haziness of the beer. So you've got nothing to worry about.
Now, now! My offering for the case swap this year only has minimal haze.

dent said:
I poured this cube in the fermenter with a litre or two of nottingham slurry, and fermented it capped to 20 psi or so over four days ranging from 16 to 22 degrees, then chilled and filtered since I needed a keg for another gathering.
Sorry OT but when you say fermented it capped to 20 PSI what does this mean? (newbie question I know but I haven't seen this mentioned before)

I ferment in a closed system (50L keg) with a pressure relief valve attached. The valve regulates the pressure inside the keg to 20psi, releasing anything over that. This has some benefits, mainly cleaner fermentation, easy oxygenation, and free carbonation. If it is all set up right, once the beer is fermented out to your satisfaction, you can simply put the keg into your dispensing fridge straight away.

black_labb said:
For a while I was doing double batches and would treat the 2 cubes differently. Regularly I would cube hop them drastically differently, sometimes I would add Steeped specialty malts or adjuncts (belgian candy sugar) and add during the fermentation. I did a Dubbel and an american IPA in one batch by using a lot of cube hopping highish AA hops in the IPA and steeping spec malts into the Dubbel. Of course they used different yeasts. I won a comp with a black rye IPA that I brewed 2 cubes of. The first I brewed and tasted; I decided what I needed to do to make the second one just perfect and did just that using steeping of spec grains and boiling up some more late hops as well as adding some belgian candy sugar. It really worked out well.

I've often added spec grains at the end of the mash instead of the begining. I find that they come across smoother but more flavoursome at the same time. The enzymes in the mash break down different starches, complex sugars and carbohydrates, why wouldn't they be breaking down the complex sugars in the spec malts we go through so much effort in getting there in the first place?

Interesting, I've always added dark malts late in the mash but never thought of doing with other spec malts like crystal. Hmm

Hey dent,
what are the updates on this? Any further news to add?

In particular, i'm curious about the Aromatic malt you used.
I believe it a quasi crystal category of malt, but apparently still has starch and enzymes in it. So i was wondering if either (namely the starch) had any (negative) impact on the beer. I noticed you mentioned a few posts back you were very happy with the result from Aromatic, so i was keen to hear more about it.

Edit: and how did you add the grain to the cube? - was it free or in little baggies/hop-socks?

I think of Aromatic as a super Munich, I don't think its a crystal malt but has a lot more in common with Melanoidin.
Mark

Oh yeah, melanoiden. That's another one i've got that i could chuck into the cube :)

Thanks, Martin - some of the descriptors are a bit vague on how it's made &/or what it's classified as.
Interestingly, i've come across mention on a few sites that crystal malt would have some residual starch, whereas the lack of a similar mention with regards to roasted malts seems to infer that the roasted malts don't have residual starch. What are your thoughts on that?

I'm asking as i assume that residual/free starch going into the cube could/would be detrimental.
Mind you, it seems like what dent was reporting above indicates that at least with Aromatic, that wasn't a problem.

Crystal is kilned wet. Aromatic is toasted, a bit like biscuit or victory but with some diastatic power. Plays well with biscuit, a little goes a long way.

Pretty sure the kiln/roast processes to make dark malts will convert starch and burn off most of the sugar but from experience I believe some longer chain sugars remain, thus contributing to slightly higher fg when a large portion is used.

I would just put the grains in loose - you can avoid putting most of them in the fermenter if you like, since they settle into a mud on the bottom of the cube. I didn't have any problems with starch - pretty sure crystal malts will have some starch left in them anyhow, so it's the same deal.

Crushed only - uncrushed would be pretty pointless IMO.

Back