Cube Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj1984

Reaction score
hi i just had a look in my fridge at my cube it has been in there a few days and looked ok untill i got home tonight and the temp in the fridge went up to 15 and it has this stuff floating on top it looks like someone has been spitting greenies in there i dont think is smells too different

Are you talking about no chill or fermenting beer.
Either way there seem to be some going on....
Picture tell more the thousan words

its in the cube no chill dont have a camera but to get a picture in your head get some unfermented beer get a chest infection and cough up some greenies and spit

So, you're chilling your no-chill cube? 'Up to 15*C'? AFAIK there's no reason to have the no-chill cube particularly cold. Shouldn't be any yeast in there to mind the heat.

Only thing (aside from something wrong) would be - did you add hops to the cube? Did you filter hops from the boil... i.e. Are the things you're seeing perhaps hops? Sorry if that's an overly obvious suggestion, but I don't know you're experience.

How can you see the surface of the wort? You're not one of those blokes who opens it to check it's OK are you? Smells no different to what?

there is probably a few bits of hops in there i seen the floaties from the outside so i cracked the lid for a sniff im sure its not hops
I have the fridge running with hops and yeasts in it so i just chucked the cube in there.

Openning it was not such a good idea. I would ferment it immediately.

good luck

grant

Most likely full of break material - now you've cracked the lid, I'd be fermenting asap.
there's no need to open a no chill cube, if an infection were to take hold the cube would very quickly expand.

cheers Ross

Did you place the cube immediately after filling in the fridge?

Or did you follow the correct way, fill straight after boil, fill right to the top, allow to cool naturally, and turn on side allowing the very hot wort contact with the handle and lid to pasuterise.

How many successful "no chills" have you done?

Like Grant said, now it is opned, get it into a fermenter and a yeast pitched ASAP.

How can you see the surface of the wort? You're not one of those blokes who opens it to check it's OK are you? Smells no different to what?
How ever did you resist not being the Grammar Police on this one?
"."
","
:p

Back