Cream/sweet Stout Suggestions Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parrothead

Reaction score
This past weekend, I purchased a Muntons Premium Range Irish Stout kit. I am planning on using it as the base of a cream/sweet/milk [take your pick] stout. I'm already figuring on filling it out with additional malt extract and lactose. I'd also like to steep some grains. Can anyone offer some suggestions? Are finishing hops common for this style? I've never done a cream stout before. Thanks in advance!

I would not be adding any extra speciality grains to a kit, it might throw the balance out.

Having said that, my milk stout has 7% black patent and 3.5% chocolate malt in it. adding a touch of chocolate might be ok.

I would just add your extra malt extract and the milk sugar and see if you like the results.

The problem you have by adding grains to kits that are already made up of that grain or similar grans is you throw the balance out or completly screw up the profile as pointed out by josh.

Personally when i did kits/extract + steeped grains i would always start with a bog standard light coloured kit. A Bitter, Draught, Lager, Pilsner, Pale ale Etc and work it up from there. The benifit of doing this is YOU build the grain flavour profile (ignoring the base malt) yourself and dont rely on whats been crammed into the tin. You can pretty much add the equivilant weights of specialty grain which is usually added to an all grain batch. This on its own will improve your beer 10 fold w/respect to the malt flavour profile.

Another benifit of doing this is you can closer copy peoples AG recipes that are known winners by only having to sub out the base malt w/ a kit or extract. ;) I just liked the idea of being able to build my own kit/extract beer from the ground up.

Below is my sweet stouts specialty grain addditions that got 3rd @ Stout extravaganza lastyear if you want to take this approach as noted above. I wouldnt recommend adding these to a stout kit however. Unless you want a RIS/Export stout flavour profile :(

0.40 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (413.0 SRM) Grain 7.2 %
0.25 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (86.7 SRM) Grain 4.5 %
0.20 kg Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (470.0 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
0.20 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
0.50 kg Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9.0 %

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

+1

Fourstar, they really should sticky your response or you should post it as an article. I've reckon I've seen you recommend this at least three or four times in the past year.

It's great advice and a really good/simple first step beyond K&K for people who want to learn about controlling/creating their own flavour profile before jumping into extract, partials and AG.

HABAHAGD! :icon_cheers:
Jono.

Edit: wrong icon code :(

Thanks for the feedback, some really great information. But I'm curious - not even any crystal malt for steeping?

Back