Coopers Micro Brew Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LukeCharles

Reaction score
Me again,

I have had my lager on for a week now, the standard lager that came with the Coopers brew kit. It is only bubbling every couple of minutes now, my hydro reading is till below the green line on the metre. Do I need to wait for it to reach this green mark? or will it ferment longer out in the bottles? or will this cause a beer festival all over the walls of my house?

Has been going for a week now at 22 degrees.

THanks.

You want to wait until your beer is well and truly finished before bottling. yes it will ferment a little in the bottles when you add priming sugar - that's how you get carbonation. However best to wait until the beer is finished its main fermentation so you can control this (otherwise beer festival is a definite risk).

Don't worry about the green mark on the hydrometer. Worry about the numbers on the hydrometer. What do they say?

Depending on ingredients, yeast health and a number of other things each beer will have an expected finishing gravity. This may differ between beers. What you need to do each brew is figure out where you expect the brew to finish. Once it gets to that figure or reasonably close (couple of points) and stabilises over several days, then it is finished and OK to bottle.

Your beer will benefit from being on the yeast a few days more though so hitting that figure doesn't mean you should rush.

Forget colours on hydrometers and forget bubbles.

what is the hydrometer reading..not that i'm an expert but it may take 7-10 days at that temp

Agreed a reading is a good place to start, most kits have a FG of around 1010, can be less or more depending on what you put in it. I'm also pretty green to the brew so my advice doesn't come with a warranty..... :party:

Back