Coopers Micro-brew Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitcho

Reaction score
Hi all,

Probably a silly question to you wise old men (and women I'm sure).

I was just wondering what the life expectancy of the rubber O-rings (both lid and valve) would be on the fermenter?

I bought a kit about 6 years ago and only used it twice. It went into storage for about 4 years in the garage and I bought it out about 2 years ago. The first few brews fermented like a mad cow but the last two there was no airlock action and no fermenter action also.

Just wondering if maybe it's time to replace the 2 O-rings and get the kit up and running again?

PS the girlfriend is leaning over my shoulder exclaiming "2 kits!!!", as i'd already bought a new fermenter from my LHBS which is working a treat.

Cheers all.

Take the seals as samples if you go to buy replacements.

Or like a fair amount of people here do with bunnings fermenters, always leaking tops or lost bungs etc, don't use a lid at all and double glad wrap over the top enough to go pass the threads and bung the seal over the lip of the fermenter and half way down the threads. The thread will hold the seal in place. If you want to get real fancy pants, roll up the glad wrap back to the rubber seal for a neat finish.

No need for an air hole as the pressure finds it's own way out.

I would hazard a guess that the seals / o-rings are past it.

They're rather inexpensive and it's a sensible little repair that will make you happier.

Cheers - Fermented.

I have just switched to glad wrap and the rubber seal as a giant rubber band....

SO much easier and also easier to see through....I'd replace the tap if I was you, 6 years dry can't be good for it's seal, good news is that taps can be bought cheaply from bunnings/camping stores.

Here's how a clingwrap top looks.
Best of all, you get to see what's happening!

38.jpg

On the subject, anyone know if you can get wider glad wrap? I find the normal width is only just wide enough so its a bit of a pain to try and get it on centre and to stay there when putting the rubber band on. I'd rather one that was about 10cm wider so you just had more than you'd need and it'd make it heaps easier and less likely to accidentally have a gap above the rubber band.

Try a hospitality store, you might get some of the wider stuff in a 50 or 100m roll....

Cheers guys.

I reckon I'll give the cling wrap a go next time. You're right about being able to see what's happening as opposed to squinting through some cloudy plastic.

Where abouts would you get the rubber band from, and do you poke any holes in the cling wrap to let the gas out?

Cheers.

The rubber bands are the seals you get with the Bunnings fermentors.

I'm pretty sure G&G sells them individually though.

You can use anything, as long as it seals the glad wrap well.

Cheers guys.

I reckon I'll give the cling wrap a go next time. You're right about being able to see what's happening as opposed to squinting through some cloudy plastic.

Where abouts would you get the rubber band from, and do you poke any holes in the cling wrap to let the gas out?

Cheers.

No need for holes in the glad wrap - you will see it dome up though, which is pretty cool.

As to the rubber seals, your local home brew shop should carry replacements - as the others have suggested, take an old one with you for sizing.

Cheers,

Brendo

I have just switched to glad wrap and the rubber seal as a giant rubber band....

SO much easier and also easier to see through....I'd replace the tap if I was you, 6 years dry can't be good for it's seal, good news is that taps can be bought cheaply from bunnings/camping stores.

If you want to see all the action, buy a glass or plastic carboy - its fantastic!!!!!!! :)

Hello dere,

You can get giant rubber bands from your local stationery shop for about 20 ea.

cheers
The B. B.
(You know what I like!)

I and others use the original lid o ring as the 'rubber band'. Just whip it out and it will stretch perfectly over the threads as per a pic above.

No need to buy a rubber band unless your lid seal is broken in two.

Back