Coolroom/fermentation Room 20 Degrees

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifteenbeerslater

Reaction score
Hello Guys,
Thinking about building a small coolroom in the corner of my large steel shed for a fermentation/conditiong room. Started off looking into coolroom panels but now thinking of just using 17mm thick ply and insulating it later if requied. The plan at this stage is to build 2.4m long 1.2m wide 2.4m high using standard sheet sizes. This should be large enough for three fermentors, ten kegs, and say 100 bottles and still room to just move about.
I intend to use a reverse cycle split air conditioner (new for $299) to keep say a constant 19-20 degrees.
Any one done anthing similar? Looking for ideas.
Cheers 15BL :beer:

Thats a great idea, think it would be cheaper to run if it was insulated, especially the floor. Imagine your shed like mine has a conctete slab floor which would radiate heat up into the cool room, how about double sheeting with 2 part expanda foam pumped into the cavity. Are foam sheets expensive, you can make these super strong by covering with material (old bedsheets) and painting over with bondcrete so no need to cover with ply, just glue a big box together and add a door. Used to beef up foam eskys like this for fishing, you could jump on them.

fifteenbeerslater said:
Hello Guys,
Thinking about building a small coolroom in the corner of my large steel shed for a fermentation/conditiong room. Started off looking into coolroom panels but now thinking of just using 17mm thick ply and insulating it later if requied. The plan at this stage is to build 2.4m long 1.2m wide 2.4m high using standard sheet sizes. This should be large enough for three fermentors, ten kegs, and say 100 bottles and still room to just move about.
I intend to use a reverse cycle split air conditioner (new for $299) to keep say a constant 19-20 degrees.
Any one done anthing similar? Looking for ideas.
Cheers 15BL :beer:
[post="104880"][/post]​

I was going to do the same but went for another option.
If u live in SA - i have 5 Cool Room Sheets 75mm thick 3m long x 1.2m high for 40.00 a sheet - good condition.
Also have a Cool room Panel with 3 sets of double glazed glass doors with ss frame and the proper self closing hinges that fit and match perfectly with the sheets.
Happy to sell to a AHBer for 300.00 all up.

fifteenbeerslater, my brew/store room is timber framed and clad with packing sheets (mdf) that i got from the local timber yard,it is insulated with off cuts of insulwool from worksites (am a chippie) .the ceiling is also insulated,and the room is sited on the opposite end (south) of the hottest part of the shed (north) the floor is concrete with tiles. even on the hottest days (45 degrees) the temp in the room does not get above more than 25 degrees. hope this helps. all up it cost about $ 50.00 cheers spog..

i have a similar idea in the planning though mine will be a two tier construction with aircon running buttom section at 10-12 deg and a fan to pull cool air into top section to keep at 18-20 will be building out of 50mm coolroom panel iside a room made of the same.Will be using Jaycar tempmaster to conrol the fan etc. Then i can use current chesty for cc'ing.

Cheers
:beer:

Richard

GMK said:
If u live in SA - i have 5 Cool Room Sheets 75mm thick 3m long x 1.2m high for 40.00 a sheet - good condition.
Also have a Cool room Panel with 3 sets of double glazed glass doors with ss frame and the proper self closing hinges that fit and match perfectly with the sheets.
Happy to sell to a AHBer for 300.00 all up.
[post="104892"][/post]​

$40 a sheet for 75mm panel is a good price GMK :beer:
Glass doors look pretty but aren't very good insulators :(

SPOG, I agree a good idea to be away from the sun, do you have a cooling/heating unit installed?
RECARGE, Will look back into the 50mm coolroom panels, your control system sounds good.
JAZZAFISH, What a great link, i am amazed at how littlle power and time on is used. Coolroom panels will be a must.

fbl, no idont have any additional cooling in the brew room,but have considered it many times. i guess i have it in a sweet spot so to say,shmbo has told me NO air con in the brew room as it is hard to get me out as it is! :D

Back