Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On 2GB (Sydney talkback) a week or two back, a GP mentioned you would have to drink the equivalent of a case per day, every day, for 47 years to have any affect on your liver.

A friend of mine wasn't feeling the best, so the doc booked him in for some blood tests. The night before, he had a few ales, and then some, so his liver function tests were abnormal.

When he heard, it put the wind up him so he swore of the booze.

A few months later, after the tests were repeated, he found there was no permanent damage (of course).

Back on the piss... :p

On 2GB (Sydney talkback) a week or two back, a GP mentioned you would have to drink the equivalent of a case per day, every day, for 47 years to have any affect on your liver.

This GP obviously sponsored by CUB.... or just totally inept.

Liver Function tests are not really a great way of testing liver function, as they dont really deal well/at all with small reductions in liver "function", so even if your test comes back as normal, it does not preclude you from having some existing long standing small scale damage.

Agree with that, sinkas. Everyone's liver deteriorates over a lifetime.

When you take alcohol, the organ is stressed and results will be grossly abnormal for a few days afterward. If these abnormalities are consistent, then that would be worrying.

Since I finished brewing at Paddy's ,to become a Stay at Home Dad, I have lost 13kg's.
I put this down to three reasons.

I don't consume as much beer as I did.
I don't eat lunch at the bistro anymore.
I chase a two year old around all day & never walk up stairs, always run.

I used to get through 6-8 schooners per day as I had a keg in the fridge at home, now I would be lucky to have 3 or 4 beers a week.

I will be brewing continually for the next 6 months to supply a keg each week for refreshments after cricket. I am looking forward to having a few extra beers, but the weight will not be increasing.

Cheers
Gerard

Before i discovered home brewing...(and before i had a mortgage)

i would average 4-5 cartons a week..

since then my consumption has decreased with the addition of working arvo and night shifts

4 weeks out of 6....(try to make up for them on the day shifts though..) :)

i am now 33..(started drinking at about 17)

Drinking has never caused me any sort of problem....Untill now.. :(

In the last 6 months i have developed Gout in my left knee..

(which may not be the beer..but probably is)

and i have sciatica in my lower back, which causes agonising pain down my right leg..

(which is not completly the beers fault but the beer gut i have hanging off the front of me.)

and WORST of ALL!!

i still wake up next to ugly women... :huh:

(in this case the same one ive been waking up next to for the last 8 years.)

other than that no probs... :super:

Sqyre,

If you have been diagnosed with Gout, you should have been instructed to drink at least 3L a day of water. For the "sciatica", go and see your local chiropractor, or if you wish I am happy to refer you to a colleague in your area.

my old girl told me drinking beer gives u acne so i decided to do a test

i started to drink twice as much as i used to ( couple beers every 2 days to a long neck anight and washed my face with pimple stuff twice a day) and my face has never been clearer haha now she says dont drink it u will get too fat

Pre-home brew days I used to consume about 12 stubbies for the week days and anywhere from 1 to 2 six packs for the weekend depending on social events.

Now I home brew I have about 3-4 300ml glasses a night constantly (sometimes 1 or 2 more or less), without fail.

If drinking was THAT bad for us, Baptists would be living to 120 and the rest of us would be cursing our habits at 70...but it's not the case.

I always tell a doctor that I have one or two nights drink-free. It keeps them happy and they stop haggling ;)

I generally go without one on Monday night (although that's the night I seem to crave them!), that said - I'm slurping on a glass of red as we speak.

Craft brewed beer is a natural product - I'll drink as much of it as I like!

I don't trust ANY medical [so called] doctor :angry: If I had I would have been dead years ago TRUE
I gave up seeing any medical person then and there as I should have died in 1987 aged 37 ,take this and that drug, have these three operations etc, I did not drink much then, a doctor [who is now dead, he was murdered :( ] said have two beers a night and half an asprin and dont let them cut you [this is 30 yeas ago <_< ], I am now 56 and better then ever, mind you, I have over done it a little but fitter then most half my age

Off soap box and have beer #3.

NEVER trust a Pussers Saw-Bones or Fang Bosun Eh Bindi??? :p

Festa

Phew....you guys had me worried! when i saw the thread title I thought someone had TB or worse still it was beer related.
Any one want a lesson try This link

Time for another drink methinks. :chug:

Back