Consistently missing FG target

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have the same problem. Have you tried 2-3 packets in 40L without making a starter (I didn't think you were meant to build starters with dry yeast)? Have you also tried building a starter with liquid yeast? I buy liquid yeast and overbuild the starter, 2/3 goes into the pending brew and 1/3 goes into a sanitised jar in the fridge, then I start the process over again for a few brews before resetting with fresh yeast..

Also, I build 3 - 3.5L starters for ~26L brews (remembering I save a 1/3 for a jar) - you might want look at your starter sizes (depending on the OG of course).. lots of things to try but it's going to take you a few brews to work it out!

I usually make a 2L starter from 200g of DME in 2L water. Boil, allow to cool and then add a pack of yeast (S-04 in this case) and then leave for a couple of days (max) on a heat controlled stir plate at 20 deg C. I use a 2L starter in a 40L or 60L batch. The recent cases of low FG have been with 40L batches and 2L starters.

I think you are under pitching. I will sometimes do a 2L starter with a single packet for a 20L batch. If you are using dry yeast just pitch 4 packets of dehydrated yeast into your 40L batch (dry yeast is cheap) or grow up 2 packs in a 2L starter.

The other thing I have read is you shouldn't leave it aerating on the stir plate for more than 18-24 hours or it can negatively affect the yeast health. Also check what temperature the stir plate is warming the sample up to.

The other thing I have read is you shouldn't leave it aerating on the stir plate for more than 18-24 hours or it can negatively affect the yeast health. Also check what temperature the stir plate is warming the sample up to.
I have read similar.
Quain: Make a starter as normal to get your yeast cell count to the correct level using your preferred method. On brew day. while you are heating your strike water, make up a liter of 1.040 wort in a flask (about 115 gramsn of DME and 1 L of distilled water boiled for 15 minutes). Seal with a sterile filter that allow air to flow both ways. Cool. Pour the barm beer off your starter and add the fresh wort. Spin this pitch on the stirplate with a sterile filter until your brew day is ready for for the yeast pitch. This spinning will keep adding oxygen to the wort. Ideally this should be 4 to 6 hours. DO NOT oxygenate the wort from the brew and pitch as normal. This is the magic part of the process."

Latest posts

Back