Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Consistently missing FG target

Discussion in 'All Grain Brewing' started by Ckilner, 22/9/19.

1. Schikitar

Posted 23/9/19
    I used to have the same problem. Have you tried 2-3 packets in 40L without making a starter (I didn't think you were meant to build starters with dry yeast)? Have you also tried building a starter with liquid yeast? I buy liquid yeast and overbuild the starter, 2/3 goes into the pending brew and 1/3 goes into a sanitised jar in the fridge, then I start the process over again for a few brews before resetting with fresh yeast..

Also, I build 3 - 3.5L starters for ~26L brews (remembering I save a 1/3 for a jar) - you might want look at your starter sizes (depending on the OG of course).. lots of things to try but it's going to take you a few brews to work it out!

scomet likes this.
  2. JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.

Posted 27/9/19
    Braukaiser is one of the best brewing resources around IMHO. Never been led astray yet .

MHB likes this.
  3. cjpunk07

Posted 10/10/19
    I think you are under pitching. I will sometimes do a 2L starter with a single packet for a 20L batch. If you are using dry yeast just pitch 4 packets of dehydrated yeast into your 40L batch (dry yeast is cheap) or grow up 2 packs in a 2L starter.

The other thing I have read is you shouldn't leave it aerating on the stir plate for more than 18-24 hours or it can negatively affect the yeast health. Also check what temperature the stir plate is warming the sample up to.

wide eyed and legless likes this.
  4. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 10/10/19
    I have read similar.
    Quain: Make a starter as normal to get your yeast cell count to the correct level using your preferred method. On brew day. while you are heating your strike water, make up a liter of 1.040 wort in a flask (about 115 gramsn of DME and 1 L of distilled water boiled for 15 minutes). Seal with a sterile filter that allow air to flow both ways. Cool. Pour the barm beer off your starter and add the fresh wort. Spin this pitch on the stirplate with a sterile filter until your brew day is ready for for the yeast pitch. This spinning will keep adding oxygen to the wort. Ideally this should be 4 to 6 hours. DO NOT oxygenate the wort from the brew and pitch as normal. This is the magic part of the process."