Conflicting Advice On Re-using Yeast Cake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeasties havent been collected yet. im thinking in advance :)

I was just thinking of a sterile jar in the bottom of the fermentor and scrape the crap out ?

Yeasties havent been collected yet. im thinking in advance :)

I was just thinking of a sterile jar in the bottom of the fermentor and scrape the crap out ?

I was curious about this myself. How does everyone get the yeast from the bottom of the fermenter to the sterile jar? Is it just a matter of swooshing the leftovers around and pouring out of the tap into the jar?

Josh when I do it I just sanitise a soup ladle, drain as much beer from the fermenter as is possible then tilt the fermenter on an angle to force the yeast cake to shift to one spot (or most of it anyway).

Then it's fairly easy to scoop the yeast out and dump it in to a sterile jar.

Warren -

Josh when I do it I just sanitise a soup ladle, drain as much beer from the fermenter as is possible then tilt the fermenter on an angle to force the yeast cake to shift to one spot (or most of it anyway).

Then it's fairly easy to scoop the yeast out and dump it in to a sterile jar.

Warren -

Slightly moving this thread to the left but ...

After bottling / kegging / racking the fermenter I'm left with the yeast cake. If I add a little sterile water, mix it with the cake and pour into a sterile container and straining (through for instance a hop sock). I catch a fair bit of the solid mess. Will the yeast go through my strainer or likely to remain with the solids in my sock ?

I would think that most of it will get caught on the solids in your sock

Hey PP hows it going
Every one seems to have ten cents worth on this so I thought I put a pic of my yeast here.
I drain almost all the beer out of my fermentor, Then I add about 1.5l of boiled water and give it all a good mix.
After 20 mins I turn on the tap and remove one jar of water.
This has been left in fridge for 2 hrs, you can see yeast on bottom not washed.
I don't wash it at all
I do put it in a starter though probably get 3 brews form this.
May not be the best way to do this but it works and it's easy

IMG_1338.JPG

Latest posts

Back