Cold Sparge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winkle

Teach a man to fish and play golf, and you'll neve
Reaction score
Last weekend I brewed a IPA. While heating the sparge water I noticed a distinct smell of ozone followed by a thin puff of smoke from the thermostat on the HLT. :blink: Argh the temp had only reached 76 C. Did a batch sparge anyway but since the grain bed/sparge water only got up to 69 C I'm wondering what off flavours I'll be facing. Heaps of cold break material by the way. :angry:

It shouldn't be an issue, winkle. Conversion has already happened when you are sparging, so the sparge is just washing out the sugars. You may lose a little on efficiency, but there shouldn't be any effect on the beer at all.

My urn tripped the switch without me realising when I was brewing last weekend. Even with it running flat out during the sparge, the temp probably would have averaged about 70. I don't expect it will be a problem. Back in the old days I used to sparge by heating water to 75 and then pouring that into a pail and then doing a 1hr sparge. I never measured the temp of the last litre or so but I bet it would have been low 60s at least. Never had any issues.

Thanks for the advice, its looking ok in secondary at the moment :) Now I just have to convince my sparky mate that rewiring the HLT is an urgent task that needs to be done at mates rates before the weekend.

Wow, I don't know what ozone smells like and that's ok with me.

I imagine it'd be nasty on the lungs. Would the haemaglobin pick it up?

Scott

Wow, I don't know what ozone smells like and that's ok with me.

I imagine it'd be nasty on the lungs. Would the haemaglobin pick it up?

Scott

Ozone is OK to breathe. You know that distinctive smell you get around photocopiers? That's ozone.

I wouldn't want much of it. That is a seriously reactive form of oxygen.

Scott

Sparkys call it "the funny brown smell". If you've smelt it you know exactly what that means....funny lot those queer trades.

Unfortunately, the more you write about it, the more I'm convinced I know exactly what you're talking about :(

It's effect wouldn't be as bad as asbestos though. I don't want to talk about that.

Happy breathing.

Scott

Ozone is OK to breathe. You know that distinctive smell you get around photocopiers? That's ozone.

Say Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ??

Just doing some work on the supply of an Ozone plant to one of Australias largest Paper mills. Ozone is one of the most toxic substances around due to its oxidation abilities. 0.1 ppm is harmful - i think the ozone smell around a photocopier is in ppb.

Snipped from the net

By any measure ozone is extremely toxic -- one of the most toxic substances known, surpassed only
by F2 as an oxidant. The lungs are the principle pathway into the body.
Ozone is so toxic that it has no systemic toxicity because it cannot cross
the fluid layer in the lungs before it reacts [1]. Both ozone itself and
its oxidation products of reaction with lung lining fluids are respiratory
irritants. The latter producing longer lived irritants.
The toxicity of chemical substances is measured by several indeces,
depending upon the mode and time of exposure. For ozone, these are [4]:
NIOSH REL = 0.1ppm; OSHA PEL = 0.1ppm; ACGIH TLV = 0.1ppm; IDHL= 5ppm.
Compared to highly toxic H2S [5]:
= 10ppm ; = 20ppm; = 10ppm = 100ppm
Ozone is 20 to 100 times more toxic than hydrogen sulfide, depending upon
the exposure index selected.

RM

Back