CO2 Regulator "normal" operation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do regulators slowly/smoothly release co2 when the pressure drops in a 19l keg head space or is it more of a short sharp burst when the pressure drops, how sensitive are they usually?

They just release gas until the pressure is back to where it was before. I usually find it's a pretty nondescript event. You pour a beer and hear it gas in for about 10-20 seconds after and then it stops, however the longer it sits on the gas the less it does this, at least with any noise attached. I only notice it when the keg is quite full and hasn't been on gas very long i.e. has only just reached the carbonation level I'm after. When it's been there a while I'm sure it still adds a bit of gas but it must be a lot less because you don't hear it making any noise.

They just release gas until the pressure is back to where it was before. I usually find it's a pretty nondescript event. You pour a beer and hear it gas in for about 10-20 seconds after and then it stops, however the longer it sits on the gas the less it does this, at least with any noise attached. I only notice it when the keg is quite full and hasn't been on gas very long i.e. has only just reached the carbonation level I'm after. When it's been there a while I'm sure it still adds a bit of gas but it must be a lot less because you don't hear it making any noise.
thanks for that.

What if you attach a check valve? There would be any back pressure to read from?

I've got check valves on my manifold, and also a non return valve along the line that runs from the regulator to the manifold. It doesn't seem to affect anything like that. The back pressure would be less than the pressure set on the regulator anyway, otherwise it wouldn't be sending gas into the keg at all.

When I do notice the gas being replaced upon pouring a beer, it always starts making the noise pretty much as soon as I begin pouring the beer at first. After another week or so on gas, the noise doesn't start until about half way through the pour, and after another week or two I don't hear anything much at all. And then it splutters everywhere because the keg blows dry. :fallingoffchair:

I've got check valves on my manifold, and also a non return valve along the line that runs from the regulator to the manifold. It doesn't seem to affect anything like that. The back pressure would be less than the pressure set on the regulator anyway, otherwise it wouldn't be sending gas into the keg at all.

When I do notice the gas being replaced upon pouring a beer, it always starts making the noise pretty much as soon as I begin pouring the beer at first. After another week or so on gas, the noise doesn't start until about half way through the pour, and after another week or two I don't hear anything much at all. And then it splutters everywhere because the keg blows dry. :fallingoffchair:
A serious crises looms in the UK.......

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44545010

Well mine's good for another 10 or 11 months... it'll probably be offline for a while itself while we look to buy a house and move around the end of the year/beginning of next year.

Maybe they could draw some of the excess CO2 from the atmosphere that they're all talking about and use that instead :p

I thought the breweries used the c02 from fermentation to carb the beer. It's siphoned off, scrubbed to remove odour then used to carb. It's the dispensing of beer and soft drink industries that use it.

Latest posts

Back