Co2 Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit of a side track

Is the BOC "Beergas" a mixture of Nitrogen & CO2? Am sure I saw this on one of the bottles

Cheers

you can different mixes of nitrogen and co2 for your guinness and kilkenney style brews

beer gas is just beer gas.the nitrogen co2 mix from memory is called cellarmix.or something like that.

cheers
big d

mandrakar said:
I run a 3.5 Kg CO2 fire extinguisher to dispense. It costs me $14.00 to refill and I own it!

M
[post="95200"][/post]​

just wondering if you could post a pic of the fire extinguisher fittings etc. is it a CO2 extinguisher or is it possible to adapt a water based one as they both hold pressure.
Also is there any modifications needed to be done to bottle?
Where do you refill it ?

can anyone tell me the difference between beer gas and having nitrogen in the gas. Does it improve anything?

Beerpig said:
Bit of a side track

Is the BOC "Beergas" a mixture of Nitrogen & CO2? Am sure I saw this on one of the bottles

Cheers
[post="95232"][/post]​

I'm sure I remember their beergas is simply CO2 but you pay a premium for it over the normal CO2 - Both come out the same filler tank though :)

cheers Ross

Guinness uses nitrogen to produce smaller creamier bubbles, but I think the main purpose for a nitrogen mix is to allow pubs to run higher pressures without overcarbonating the beer. Could be wrong though.

Probably about time for the usual legal disclaimer here too, for the benefit of newbies:

CO2 is stored at EXTREMELY high pressures and it can KILL in the event of a failure. As homebrewers we all like to mess around in the margins, but you must never take your eye off the ball.

There has been discussion in the past about certain vessels being designed for repeated pressure cycling (ie filling and discharge) and others (eg fire extinguishers) that are designed for only one or two pressure cycles in their lifespan.

Make damn sure you know what you are doing if you plan on modifying anything.

If you don't know what you are doing then let the experts do it for you.

That is all. Carry on.

Considering Tony from Pub Gas is now charging bottle rent rather than his old one-off deposit I've decided to grab one of these:
homeCylinder.jpg

Ordered it today, just waiting on stock to arrive :D

Figured I've already got the "man size" cylinder, but once it runs out I'll need something else...plus these are a little more portable :lol:

PZ.

Wortgames said:
Guinness uses nitrogen to produce smaller creamier bubbles, but I think the main purpose for a nitrogen mix is to allow pubs to run higher pressures without overcarbonating the beer. Could be wrong though.

Probably about time for the usual legal disclaimer here too, for the benefit of newbies:

CO2 is stored at EXTREMELY high pressures and it can KILL in the event of a failure. As homebrewers we all like to mess around in the margins, but you must never take your eye off the ball.

There has been discussion in the past about certain vessels being designed for repeated pressure cycling (ie filling and discharge) and others (eg fire extinguishers) that are designed for only one or two pressure cycles in their lifespan.

Make damn sure you know what you are doing if you plan on modifying anything.

If you don't know what you are doing then let the experts do it for you.

That is all. Carry on.
[post="95366"][/post]​

Yeah I agree Wortgames. I think I'll be using my fire extinguisher until it kills somebody, then I'll get a proper cylinder....provide it's not me who's dead of course.

- Snow

Whoo hoo, finally got it! :D

mykegonlegscylinder.JPG

Might be time to offload some aluminium SodaStream cylinders now methinks...anyone in Canberra want some? (will trade for beer :chug: )

PZ.

Fingerlickin_B said:
Whoo hoo, finally got it! :D

View attachment 5562

Might be time to offload some aluminium SodaStream cylinders now methinks...anyone in Canberra want some? (will trade for beer :chug: )

PZ.
[post="102866"][/post]​

Anyone know the dimensions of the Mykegsonlegs 6.8 kg cylinder.
Thanks Altstart

altstart said:
Thanks Altstart

Could measure it later, but I'm at work right now.

I'm sure if you call or email he'll tell you:
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0422 500 402 (mobile)

PZ.

altstart said:
Just measured mine and I can tell you it's 175mm in diameter and 690mm high (which includes the handle).

I have just received my kegging setup and picked up a food grade CO2 cylinder yesterday from the local Air Liquide dealer. I opted for the heavy 10kg steel cylinder (must be 30-40kg all up) which was only $15 per year rental, I'm presuming most of you guys paying $100+ have an aluminium cylinder?

Any benefit in the aluminium one other than weight?

Cheers, Andrew.

Millet Man said:
I have just received my kegging setup and picked up a food grade CO2 cylinder yesterday from the local Air Liquide dealer. I opted for the heavy 10kg steel cylinder (must be 30-40kg all up) which was only $15 per year rental, I'm presuming most of you guys paying $100+ have an aluminium cylinder?

Cheers, Andrew.
[post="129794"][/post]​
Only lighten your wallet quicker :blink:
I pay $17 /year rent, aint it great

Millet Man said:

[post="129794"][/post]​

No!!! - Unfortuanatey steel ones only available in Vic :( ...

cheers ross

Ross said:
Millet Man said:

[post="129794"][/post]​

No!!! - Unfortuanatey steel ones only available in Vic :( ...

cheers ross
[post="129803"][/post]​

Aha, lucky us. :)

Another quirky state reg no doubt, probably goes back to colonial times. No wonder everyone else is jealous of Victorians. :ph34r:

Cheers, Andrew.

Wow there is sure is a huge amount of range in pricing. I rang around a few places today and managed to grab the following which hopefully helps someone out:

BOC - $120.89 per year rental "VT" size - $45.32 for each refill
Air Liquide - $100 per year rental - $60.50 for each refill
Linde (Local Dealer) - $143.28 per year rental "E" size - $54.93 for each refill

Actually looking at the figures they all work out roughly the same.

Cheers
Darren

That would depend on how many times you're planning on filling it each year :D

That would depend on how many times you're planning on filling it each year :D

I run three taps with four kegs & a 9Kg bottle lasts over a year
glad I live in Vic where rental is only $17/Year :p

Just put the prices bl@de quoted into a spreadsheet to see how they compare.

I created a spreadsheet that graphed the hire prices along with 1 to 12 refills. Dunno who would need to refill every month but anyway...

Based upon the prices quoted BOC was the cheapest for all refill counts checked. This difference becomes more apparent as the refill count increases.

For example:
2 Refills:- $10-$40 saving
4 refills:- $40-$60 saving
6 refills:- $70-$80 saving
12 refills:- $137-161 saving.

Air Liquide comes in second and Linde in third place though Linde becomes cheaper on the 8th refill, though still not as cheap as BOC.

Please note that these are based upon the prices quoted. You may be able to get better prices elsewhere or in different states.

Hope this helps,

jsg

Latest posts

Back