Cleaning Your Beer Glasses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say don't buy the myth,
All my glasses go through the dishwasher with the rest of the dishes
If you are making all-grain beer you should have NO problems with head retention.
If you do you should look for other problems with your procedure.
cheers
Darren

I just know that I have exactly the same glasses and one has been washed with a cleaning agent and the other has not. The one thats been washed with a cleaning agent gives a poor quality head and you can see very few bubbles going from the base up while the other gives a perfect head and the amount of bubles going from base up is just insane. Could sit a beer overnight and it would probably still have a head on it in the morning.

I only just bought the glasses and I would like to look after them and make sure they get cleaned properly all the time.. I know that I'll be keeping my glasses away from cleaning agents for the long run.

Darren said:
If you are making all-grain beer you should have NO problems with head retention.
cheers
Darren
[post="71832"][/post]​

I believe if you spend time crafting a beer , cleaning and sanitizing all your equipment.....care from start too finish.
Well it's not much effort to then serve your beer as it should be..in a decent glass. :beer:

But as I said before each to his own

Batz

Batz said:
Darren said:
cheers
Darren
[post="71832"][/post]​

I believe if you spend time crafting a beer , cleaning and sanitizing all your equipment.....care from start too finish.
Well it's not much effort to then serve your beer as it should be..in a decent glass. :beer:

Batz
[post="71850"][/post]​

Agreed.. its not that much effort and makes a big difference. i usually rinse my daily drinking glass in a vinegar sol'n then the bicrab sol'n and then hot water..once a week, the rest of the week is a hot water rinse when finished with. the difference in a weeks use is amazing. Now i think of it, maybe its worth sorting a couple of spray bottles with sol'n already made up.
spray - rinse
spray - rinse
rinse
pour
DRINK

I find my beers have too much foam so it isn't a problem for me to lose a bit of head.

The bulk of dishwashing "detergent" is actually caustic soda. Using a dishwasher with a pure soda detergent and vinegar in the rinse aid should be just as good as manually washing with bicarbonate of soda followed by a vinegar rinse, shouldn't it?

I was always under the impression that the blue rinse aids had a component that coated the glasses?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed.. its not that much effort and makes a big difference. i usually rinse my daily drinking glass in a vinegar sol'n then the bicrab sol'n and then hot water..once a week, the rest of the week is a hot water rinse when finished with. the difference in a weeks use is amazing. Now i think of it, maybe its worth sorting a couple of spray bottles with sol'n already made up.
spray - rinse
spray - rinse
rinse
pour
DRINK
[post="71869"][/post]​
[/quote]
I already have two plastic buckets rweady with about two litres of a mixture of Barcarbonate and water in one and a mixture of vinegar in the other. After use, I just rinse in hot water, dip and swirl in both bockets and rinse with cold water. Excellent results with a nice lasing on my glass most of the time...Change the solutions about once a week...

:chug:
PeterS....

Folks

Can't resist throwing my 2c in...

Many years ago I did work experience at the CSIRO. I spent 2 weeks washing laboratory glassware. They were doing research into lipids (fats) in eggs and fat residue (and the removal thereof) was an important issue. They taught me the lab approved method of washing glassware and I have used it (or a simpler version) ever since.

Step 1 - wash the glassware in HOT (as hot as you can stand then hotter than that) water with a very small amount of normal detergent. Small is important - it only takes a tiny amount to lift grease and too much will coat the glass in a thick detergent film.

Step 2 - Rinse in hot water. This washes away any fat residue. Don't use cold as it will set the fats again.

Step 3 - Rinse in cold water to remove the detergent film.

Step 4 - Test. this is the key step. Run some cold water round the glass so that the surface is covered. Turn upside down. Observe carefuly. The water should form a sheet that thins without beading until there isn't enough water left to form a sheet when it will break up. This should take a few seconds. If the water beads, there is detergent or grease left on the glass. Return to step 1.

Step 5 - This (and step 6) is the bit I omit but I will include it for completeness. Rinse with distilled/De-mineralised water to remove any minerals that will upset the HPLC equipment.

Step 6 - rinse with microfiltered (2 passes through a micropore membrane column filter) water to further remove contaminants.

Dishwashers do step 1 and 2 quite well. They use a caustic detergent that is good at breaking down grease and use water way hotter than you or I could stand. They don't do step 3 though so they can leave a detergent film behind (not even thinking about rinse aids here).

Probably more like 10c than 2 but there it is.

Cheers
Dave

I must admit that my glasses are just washed in detergent and rinsed. I don't have any problems with head formation or retention. I'm sure washing them as people suggest would yield improvements, but that improvement isn't worth the change (ie washing the glasses myself) :)

Sounds like its going to take as long as an AG brew to clean those glasses.
I still say Morning Fresh and a good rinse is as good as anything.

johnno

Airgead said:
Dishwashers do step 1 and 2 quite well. They use a caustic detergent that is good at breaking down grease and use water way hotter than you or I could stand. They don't do step 3 though so they can leave a detergent film behind (not even thinking about rinse aids here).
[post="71894"][/post]​

Dave,

In your opinion, is a cold water rinse after the drying cycle in a dishwasher too late to remove any detergent film? ie, is the film "baked on" by the drying cycle to the extent that a thorough cold water rinse won't remove it?

Cheers,
PoMo

Darren said:
I find my beers have too much foam so it isn't a problem for me to lose a bit of head.
[post="71871"][/post]​

OK
I get the picture :lol:

Well I just chuck my used glasses on the compost heap , when I pour a beer I grab one (dirt,compost and all) Pours a perfect beer with wonderful head !
Just because my beers are so good ! :lol: :lol:
Batz :ph34r:

PostModern said:
Dave,

In your opinion, is a cold water rinse after the drying cycle in a dishwasher too late to remove any detergent film? ie, is the film "baked on" by the drying cycle to the extent that a thorough cold water rinse won't remove it?

Cheers,
PoMo
[post="71923"][/post]​

PoMo

I suspect that the drying cycle would set any residue onto the glass. If my memory serves me correctky, the rinse aid is supposed to remove the detergent residue before the drying. At least that was the older rinse aids. Modern rinse aids apparently have all sorts of stuff in them that is supposed to do stuff to your stuff and make your stuff look cleaner (like the optical brighteners in your washing powder). Perhaps as some have suggested a plain vinegar rinse aid would work. Though you would want to be sure that your detergent was caustic based. I seem to recall somewhere that some are acid based and an acidic rinse aid may not be the best thing.

If I recall correctly, commercial dishwashers are hot (REALLY hot) water only - no detergent.

Cherers
Dave

I rinse mine in hot water then drain. However, when they get a bit dirty lookin, i use the tiniest drop of normal dishwashing detergent, then rinse out with very hot water 2 or 3 times. Works fine, no problems. Dead easy, no special equipment, nothing. I have noticed however, that certain glasses hold a better head than others, dunno why, but, some of em do, and some of em dont, regardless of how they are cleaned.

Batz said:
Darren said:
[post="71871"][/post]​

OK

Well I just chuck my used glasses on the compost heap , when I pour a beer I grab one (dirt,compost and all) Pours a perfect beer with wonderful head !
[post="71924"][/post]​

Batz,
The amount of glasses I use in one night I could never keep up with your cleaning schedule. For some reason I always end up losing my glass somewhere.
Back in my kit days I did have head problems and clean glasses did cure that.
Nowdays I don't notice any problems with head.
Are you step-mashing your malts or using too much Whirlflock/Copperfloc?
cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Batz said:
Darren said:
[post="71871"][/post]​

OK

[post="71924"][/post]​

Batz,
The amount of glasses I use in one night I could never keep up with your cleaning schedule. For some reason I always end up losing my glass somewhere.
cheers
Darren
[post="71953"][/post]​

Cheers Darren,
Please note the little smile faces in my post

Batz

Batz,
cheers
Darren
[post="71953"][/post]​
[/quote]

Cheers Darren,
Please note the little smile faces in my post

Batz
[post="71961"][/post]​
[/quote]

No worries Batz, I have thick skin anyhow. Just trying to help
:beer:

mje1980 said:
I rinse mine in hot water then drain. However, when they get a bit dirty lookin, i use the tiniest drop of normal dishwashing detergent, then rinse out with very hot water 2 or 3 times. Works fine, no problems. Dead easy, no special equipment, nothing. I have noticed however, that certain glasses hold a better head than others, dunno why, but, some of em do, and some of em dont, regardless of how they are cleaned.
[post="71940"][/post]​

I have heard that, An old fella once told me that in the old days (before health and safety regs) that he would go through a few glasses in a pub till he got a good one that held the head nice and thats the one he would have all night. He said it was a common practice.

Kramer

My life is getting short enough now without all this hassle of washing glasses in the correct manner. As I have said before, the missus tosses them into the dishwasher & they seem to be ok. If I cannot train her to follow the above procedures, then I have lost nothing. I (almost) always seem to get a good head anyway. (on my beers that is). :ph34r:

:beer:

I'm pretty lazy, so I reckon I'm gunna try normal dishwashing, but after it is unpacked, I'll rinse the beer glasses in very hot water with white vinegar. I reckon that has to work....well good enough for me anyway...

Latest posts

Back