Cleaning metal file

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wire brush was my first, obvious thought but I had some concerns about how that would affect the file grain angle and depth.
I have read that it will but like so much of this stuff, opinions are varied. Some suggest never cleaning files.
All I know is use the right tool for the right job in the first place, avoid the problem altogether.

Dude....Its a file...a wire brush wont hurt it.

The only thing harder than it is a 16yr old male with his first stick book.....

Files make excellent knives...but take longer to make as they are so bloody hard. The are also brittle

Files are made of HSS (high speed steel) which is very hard. The tang ( bit that goes into the handle) is heat treated to be less brittle so there is no chance of breaking.

Wire brush will not damage a file, yours is called a half round

3 months, pfffft .............. Railway pussies

Cheers

Seaquebrew said:
Files are made of HSS (high speed steel) which is very hard. The tang ( bit that goes into the handle) is heat treated to be less brittle so there is no chance of breaking.

Wire brush will not damage a file, yours is called a half round

3 months, pfffft .............. Railway pussies

Cheers
I was in the lucky group....we got out early...the fitters where there for 12mnths.....

manticle said:
Flat one side, round on the other.
What I should have asked is why would anyone use a metal file on timber when they have access to both belt and orbital sanders, plunge router and laminate trimmer and plain old sandpaper of various grits?

Best thing the suspected culprit ever did for my sanity was resign. Helping me find a good use for bic pen lids was a secondary benefit.
But did he have access to a rasp?

The guy had access to an account from 2 major local hardware stores but instead of buying a $12 set of plastic key tags, he spent half a day joining pieces of handwritten cardboard together with a screw to collate the keys for the flammable and corrosive chemical cabinets. For the sake of a 10 min walk he could have bought a whole set of engraved, hand made, oak and ******* velvet encased rasps, a first edition ivory and sapphire laden festool magic timber burnisher and an ancient Japanese handmade diamond splinter removal set with additional individual bamboo finger guards.

If I ever feel like an idiot, I think of this guy. If that fails I think of Donald Trump.

manticle said:
The guy had access to an account from 2 major local hardware stores but instead of buying a $12 set of plastic key tags, he spent half a day joining pieces of handwritten cardboard together with a screw to collate the keys for the flammable and corrosive chemical cabinets.
Was he a Hipster...?

Not even remotely.
Not so many of them down these parts, he was just......

Unique

Back