Chugger pumps (SS heads!)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, after conducting some research, I have personally purchased one of the in-line models impuslively - mostly because a friend from NJ is coming to visit in a month, so no shipping costs!

It would appear that the majority of people recommend the centre version as they have more success with priming and less issues with air entering the lines. The 90 degree exit angle of the in-line model appears to have no real world (ie so marginal that no noticable difference in practice) drawbacks vs the less restrictive centre outlet. Strangely, Chugger have stated on various occasions that the in-line model is a better seller due to the mouting/orientation suiting more brew-frames.

I mostly chose in-line to avoid any thread incompatibility issues and to avoid clumsy stacking up of fittings and couplings. I've also educated myself a little on ways around priming issues etc So I feel pretty confident I should be able to get this beast going without any dramas. I'll post back feedback in a month or two when I've got it all hooked up. Little brown pump will hold the fort meanwhile and then be used to recirculate the HLT (which has cold spots under the element) or other brewery tasks.

Will be interested to see how you go.
I chose the centre inlet inlet model purely because it suited my set up better in terms of orientation. I didn't think about the compatibility issues that I would have with the 3/4" inlet otherwise I would definitely gone for the inline model as well.

Now the question is how bad is the postage going to mark this up?

I have a SS Chugger head on my March pump, which originally had, and now has the center inlet. I got a 3/4" to 1/2" fitting from Beerbelly.

My mate managed to kill my plastic head on my March and the SS Chugger head was cheaper to send over.

My only issue with the head was when i first came it leaked. I pulled it apart and applied from keg lube to the gasket, since then (over a year a go and 20+ brews, if I had to guess) no problems.

If I had my time again I'd go straight to the Chugger.

The site calculated $50 for 1 and $80usd for 2 pumps to my door, if I recall correctly. Cost me $15 for USPS ground. Just gotta wait until mid May.

I'd take a stab at local distributor rrp being around $180-190. They could potentially get away with $200.

Yeh I got my 110v from homebrewstuff in the US. Cost me about $200 delivered

Latest posts

Back