Choc Hazelnut Porter Fg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhouken

Reaction score
Just bottled one of these following the "Brewing Classic Styles" recipe. Did not measure OG (I know I know) but according to recipe was supposed to be 1,066. Kept it in the fermenter for 3 weeks, in brew fridge at 18C. Airlock activity stopped after two weeks. Measured the FG prior to bottling which was 1,036 - was supposed to be 1,019. Siting in PET bottles, does not feel overcarbonated. Do you think it will be drinkable? I did use a can of cocoa powder (200g) - am thinking that this may be the cause of the "denseness" of the beer?

How long has it been in PET?

If it's been a while and it's not overcarbed then I'd suggest 1036 is a false reading.

I'd not have bottled at 1036 unless I'd done something odd to make it stop there with confidence.

How long has it been in PET?

If it's been a while and it's not overcarbed then I'd suggest 1036 is a false reading.

I'd not have bottled at 1036 unless I'd done something odd to make it stop there with confidence.

1 week in PET now. How can one stuff up the reading? Tasting it at the time it did taste grainy from suspended choc from bottom of fermenter - not related to false reading is it?

probably the denser gunk and cocao down the bottom. Just take a bottle and pour some into a measuring jar and take another reading. May have to wait a bit until it goes flat.

1 week in PET now. How can one stuff up the reading? Tasting it at the time it did taste grainy from suspended choc from bottom of fermenter - not related to false reading is it?

When there's unmixed malt or other material at the bottom of the fermenter near the tap, you can get high readings. It's a common problem.

Why did you bottle at 1036?

1 week isn't enough to know if it will be overcarbonated.

Yes, why did you bottle at that gravity ? Not that I think that's what it was in reality, but yea, check it tonight and tell us what it is out of the bottle.

You should look a bit into attenuation calcs, even through software like beersmith. BS tells me that would be 43% apparent attenuation, which is not acceptable.

But in the end, dot worry, your reading was probbly wrong.

Problem with checking out of the bottle is carbonation and undissolved priming sugar will wreak havoc with the reading.

Maybe taking a sample and allowing it to go flat and sit for a day might give a reasonable indication. Certainly if it's sitting anywhere near 1030, it's a bit of a worry.

Glad it's PET but even still..........

Problem with checking out of the bottle is carbonation and undissolved priming sugar will wreak havoc with the reading.

Maybe taking a sample and allowing it to go flat and sit for a day might give a reasonable indication. Certainly if it's sitting anywhere near 1030, it's a bit of a worry.

Glad it's PET but even still..........

Waited a wee while for bottles to carbonate - did not want to waste any after all. FG is 1.026 - should be 1.019. Tastes great though!

Back