Can A Upright Freezer Turn Into Chest Freezer!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royourboat

Reaction score
Can somebody with a valid explanation tell me whether an Upright Freezer can be put on its side to make a Chest Freezer?

I understand @ least in a fridge.. a coolant like Freon is cooled in a radiator and condensed in a compressor to form a liquid and put into the fridge lines so it can evaporate, hence cooling it, but if the design is put on it's side will it evaporate properly and travel horizontally along the normally vertical fridge lines?

I propose it would still evaporate as I imagine the liquid freon is gaseous even @ fridge/freezer temps and so it wouldnt run along the lines, but that doesn't mean it would still work well/or at all.

Any plausible thoughts?

Can somebody with a valid explanation tell me whether an Upright Freezer can be put on its side to make a Chest Freezer?

I understand @ least in a fridge.. a coolant like Freon is cooled in a radiator and condensed in a compressor to form a liquid and put into the fridge lines so it can evaporate, hence cooling it, but if the design is put on it's side will it evaporate properly and travel horizontally along the normally vertical fridge lines?

I propose it would still evaporate as I imagine the liquid freon is gaseous even @ fridge/freezer temps and so it wouldnt run along the lines, but that doesn't mean it would still work well/or at all.

Any plausible thoughts?

No.

A compressor should be mounted the right way up.

it does have an oil sump of sorts.

To answer your question NO!

By lying the freezer on its side you would have the compressor on it's side too..The compressor has oil in the bottom of it to lubricate it. This oil would run out and you would seize it. Also with the compressor it is mounted internally with springs inside, this would move too cuasing other mechanical problems.

As for then trying to remount the compressor you would run in to other problems. I would just keep using it as a freezer.

There is also a number of other problems you could run into but I think you should get the general idea.

Happy Brewing Blue.

Cheers guys Bugman & Blue,

Fitting a bar and fridge into the living room (which looks a helluva lot like a meth lab atm.. :S) is quite difficult!

Party On!

Back