Byron Bay Brewery To Use Pet Again

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah but my pseudo hippy sister will no doubt forward me some tin-foil-hat email about it giving me cancer like she did with nano-particles in sunscreen :icon_offtopic:

:icon_offtopic:

Did some post-doctoral research on nanoparticles.......

In their infinite wisdom the Aussie version of the FDA (cant recall their name) decided that any products that changed their formulations to include nanoparticles didn't need to retest their products. Since the ingredients hadn't changed, only the size of the particles, why should there be any difference?

The fact that the very reason nanoparticles are of interest is that they don't behave like the bulk material nor the individual atoms/molecules should have rung alarm bells but no..... that would be too much extra paperwork for the public service.

So now almost every sunscreen on the market (and any moisturiser with an SPF rating) contains nanoparticles and yet hasn't been adequately tested......

Hmmmm, skin cancer from not using sunscreen or some farked up skin condition and possible cancer from an untested sunscreen.....

And that is just one example of a product containing nanoparticles in use.

:icon_offtopic:

Did some post-doctoral research on nanoparticles.......

In their infinite wisdom the Aussie version of the FDA (cant recall their name)
Theraputic goods assoc (TGA). gutless bunch like most aussie watchdogs.
at least the FDA has teeth.,

A glass bottle or PET bottle (opposed to cans) can be re-used hundreds of times, the caps dozens of times ... you can recycle it all from home
Without transportation, garbage pick-ups, smeltering or any energetic process other than a quick clean and a capping.

And THEN you can STILL use it to break over someones head (should a need arise).

---

On an aside, it's a shame how some whackjob conspiracies tend to taint the rest of valid science
When the evidence amassed screams achtung in the face of any discriminating investigation.
Who even knows the long term effects of brewing in plastic, let alone GM, nanoparticles, EM radiation or the rest of our civilised conveniences. :icon_offtopic:

I finally did a side by side comparison of the PET v glass bottled bryon bay brewery lager.

Firstly appearance (with the cap on) is pretty similar, but on closer inspection the PET bottle is actually a larger volume (375 v 330ml). I guess that helps them sell it.

With the cap off the top of the PET bottle is no longer such a convincing copy of the glass bottle (see photo). The lip of the bottle is very thick (obviously to accomodate a crwon seal) and immediately looks a bit weird.

BBpetvglass.JPG

I poured most of each bottle into a glass - the one from PET poured with a slightly better head - then took a sip from the PET bottle... the feeling of the PET on your lips just doesn't feel right, it was warm, the wrong texture, IT WAS ALL WRONG! Ok, so as homebrewers we never drink straight from the bottle, but these bottles are marketed towards festivals, sporting events, rough pubs etc where glass is not allowed, so you would have to drink straight from the bottle... I think they'll have difficulty winning people over to drinking from these.

As for the taste - I made my partner do a blind tasting, and we both thought the one from the PET bottle tasted better. I don't know if that's simply because it was from a fresher batch though.

Back