Building A 3-tier Rig (in Perth)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benno1973

Beer Idiot
Reaction score
The past few months I've been buying bits and pieces (mainly from other members of this forum!) to start my AG setup. I finally have most of the pieces in place and I'm ready to try my first attempt :)

One small thing is still nagging at me. I have a gravity fed system which runs from a 40L urn to a 10gal mash tun to a 50L boiler. My system currently involves sitting these bits and pieces on tables and bricks for each stage of the mash/sparge/boil and then moving the vessels around for each successive stage. However I don't really want to do my back in lifting heavy containers, and the thought of lifting 20+ kgs of hot wort doesn't thrill me.

So now I'm in the process of thinking about the design of my 3 tier system, and was wondering what's available. I've done lots of searching through the threads on this forum and have the following ideas (and associated questions!! :huh: )...

1. Designing a frame and getting it welded together. Unfortunately I don't know how to weld or have any friends that handy either - where would I get this sort of thing done and what's a ballpark cost? Would it be cheaper to source the steel separately and then take it to soemone to weld?

2. If getting a frame welded is too expensive, I've seen a few rigs on here made of dexion. Again, is there a cheap place to source this? Dexion doesn't seem that cheap, but it certainly looks sturdy and it appears to be fairly easy to put together (from the piccies).

3. Something else I saw was Jayse's rig which I think he mentioned was slotted steel - what is this stuff? Is it possible to get it cheap second-hand? Is it possible to cut this stuff up with an angle grinder to suit the dimensions?

4. I've also heard of people using 'tek-screwed' frames as an alternative to having a welded frame - does anyone have any pictures they might be able to show me of this? Are they sturdy?

5. My final option would be to put together a set of metal shelves from Bunnings - seems as though I could buy some for around $50-100, so this seems like a fairly cheap option.

Does anyone have any recommendations on any of the above options? I'm from Perth so any local info would be more than welcome!! Thanks...

KS

Go the 3-tier stand! This is what i have http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=12685 and have found it is heaps sturdy and does what it needs to. I bought some small RHS from the hardware and borrowed my mates welder and just built the plan up in my head as i went.

Best bet to keep costs down is to try and find a welder to borrow, or if you have electric heating all the way through then you can go wood as well.

Cheers,
Keith

KS, the bolt together stuff you want is called "dexion" its what I made my brew stand out of here. Its very stong when bolted together with cross frames etc.. (not like mine in the pics, which I have yet to add supporting peices)

If your not a fan of having the climb high for the 3 teir just do what I do. Collect your runnings from the mash tun into a bucket and lift into the boiler. That way you have a 2 teir without having the HLT up so high.

if you use the cub kegs rather than tooheys you can cut you height down a bit too, you dont need to reach the top of the hlt just the bottom where your ball valve is ,,, have seen rigs made up using two of those bolt together shelf units at bunnings dont see why one wouldnt work either

Dexion ain't that cheap either.
Simplest option is probably the shelves from Bunnings. If I had a caddy welder at home here I'd volunteer to weld it for you...but I don't.
My setup is on one of those cheap (at the moment) tables from Bunnings with another table balanced on top of it. Not particularly elegant, nor safe. But If I built the frame first up I'd be chopping the damn thing up to add more height in.
A dodgy first brew as a test run is not a bad thing.

Dexion can be cheap.

I got enough to build a 3 tier stand for around $70. Just have a hunt through the yellow pages for second hand shelving and storage solution businesses. The mob who sold me mine even chucked the corner plates and bolts in for nothing.

Not the flimsy Bunnings stuff either. This stuff is like the proverbial brick dunny. :)

Warren -

DSC00573.jpg

I'm going to pimp my rig again :p

If you can get IT racks free or cheap (ebay) then get two (or one):

racks.jpg

EDIT: There is currently a server rack with no sides on ebay for $31 with a couple hours to go. The ones with doors, sides, fans etc go for a couple hundred. Bare racks like these go for a song.

There is a mob on Welshpool rd(McClellands?) that sell all manner of second hand pallet racking, shelving(Incl. Dexion), desks, chairs etc etc and I believe they are cheap(Fella at work bought a desk).

No affiliation etc etc etc

More than happy to weld one up for you. If your intresed I could weld up the frame one weekend and you could bring up the gear the next weekend and we could weld any other attatchments/brackets to the requirements of your gear. All we'll need is someone like Grab to double check if it is all set up correctly.
You should be able to get all your steel for about $100.00 and I don't mind to help a fellow brewer out for free.
Let us now if you want a hand.
Hillbilly.

I'd bolt it all together using angle iron. Use the biggest bolts and washers and then you can easily resize it if need arises.
I can weld but it's too permanent, especially if your designing/building your first frame.

tdh

I just built one like a brewtree style. Gravity fed is the best in my books as there is less that can go wrong, less to look after and it saves $200+ bucks. Steel cost around $100 as Hillbilly said.

I couldn't weld either, so I went out and got myself an arc welder and thought I'd have a go. Best thing too because it worked out great. Arc welding isn't too hard, especially if you have someone like hillbilly to show you how it's done. Very nice of him to offer, I wish I had that sort of offer when I was starting.

Hi guys,

Wow! - thanks for all the advice on the frame options!!...

I bought some small RHS from the hardware and borrowed my mates welder and just built the plan up in my head as i went. Best bet to keep costs down is to try and find a welder to borrow, or if you have electric heating all the way through then you can go wood as well.

Kiefer - I love the welded frame, and this would be my first option. However I've always assumed welding is a fairly specific skill - I might need to become mates with someone who can weld (and hire a welder!!)

I made mine out of Wood... yes, wood. The nasa burner on its stand is far away from the wood that it hardly gets hot at all... I find wood easy to work with, easy to modify etc... plenty strong enough as well....

Fixa - I'd thought of wood but dismissed it because I'm using a 3-ring burner. I'm not that handy with wood (well, I wouldn't trust myself to build a frame that could hold 50kg containers!) but my brother is. I'd still need to think about how to mount the 3 ring burner, as they don't come with a stand like the nasa, but it would be a much easier job than thinking about how to build the whole stand! Interesting approach - so option (6) is wood...

KS, the bolt together stuff you want is called "dexion"... Its very stong when bolted together with cross frames etc.. If your not a fan of having the climb high for the 3 teir just do what I do. Collect your runnings from the mash tun into a bucket and lift into the boiler. That way you have a 2 teir without having the HLT up so high.

Blake - your thread was what prompted me to look up dexion as an option! I love the stuff and it definitely seems sturdy.... however... I haven't been able to find cheap dexion anywhere. I've tried looking in the quokka (buy and sell newspaper) and on ebay, however most of the stuff on ebay is pickup in the eastern states :angry: . Also, I'm not too concerned about climbing high for the 3-tier, I figure I'll just buy a small stepladder to be able to see what's happening up top... ;)

have seen rigs made up using two of those bolt together shelf units at bunnings dont see why one wouldnt work either

... and the price is right :)

Simplest option is probably the shelves from Bunnings.
A dodgy first brew as a test run is not a bad thing.

Good point. I definitely haven't dismissed doing a couple of batches before getting the frame sorted. In fact, I think it's probably necessary so I get a feel of the equipment and what my requirements are.

Dexion can be cheap. I got enough to build a 3 tier stand for around $70. Just have a hunt through the yellow pages for second hand shelving and storage solution businesses.

Warren - thanks for the tip. I might have a scour through the yellowpages for these places. There's a few up near Wanneroo which I might check out this weekend or next weekend. Does Dexion bolt together? I assume this would mean that if I wanted to cange the frame I could do so pretty easily?

If you can get IT racks free or cheap (ebay) then get two (or one):
EDIT: There is currently a server rack with no sides on ebay for $31 with a couple hours to go. The ones with doors, sides, fans etc go for a couple hundred. Bare racks like these go for a song.

Mmmm.... rack mounted brewing.... [insert drool here]. Would love a rack case for brewing - unfortunately all the ones on ebay are pickup from Victoria. I work for an IT company, but can't see us selling off any server racks anythime soon...

If you decide to go the welded route I have a handyman unit you can borrow, I'm in Bassendean so not far down the track from you.

Cool! Thanks grabman! That's a great offer - if I find someone to weld, I'd love to take you up on that!...

There is a mob on Welshpool rd(McClellands?) that sell all manner of second hand pallet racking, shelving(Incl. Dexion)

Another one to check out on the weekend. Thanks for the info. Couldn't find McClellands in the yerllowpages, but noticed that there's lots of second hand pallet places along welshpool rd...

More than happy to weld one up for you. If your intresed I could weld up the frame one weekend and you could bring up the gear the next weekend and we could weld any other attatchments/brackets to the requirements of your gear. All we'll need is someone like Grab to double check if it is all set up correctly.
You should be able to get all your steel for about $100.00 and I don't mind to help a fellow brewer out for free.
Let us now if you want a hand.
Hillbilly.

Hillbilly - wow thanks!! That's an awesome offer - I'd love to take you up on it if you don't mind? I see you're up in Gooseberry Hill - my old stomping ground. I went to Gooseberry Hill Primary and Kalamunda High Schools, and go up that way quite regularly to visit my folks who still live on G. Hill Rd. I'll do a bit of research into what sort of thing I want and PM you. Even just a lesson on welding would be invaluable!!

I couldn't weld either, so I went out and got myself an arc welder and thought I'd have a go. Best thing too because it worked out great. Arc welding isn't too hard, especially if you have someone like hillbilly to show you how it's done. Very nice of him to offer, I wish I had that sort of offer when I was starting.

I was led to believe that welding was a fairly difficult skill to learn? I guess it doesn't need to look pretty, just needs to be functional. Do you have any piccies of your rig? Where did you get the steel from, and are there different grades of steel that would be better than others?

This is what my stand looks like. Very functional for what I wanted and doesn't take up much room. It was my first welding job and I didn't have any outside help so go easy on me. I was pretty pleased in the end and it is very strong.
brewery.jpg
I just got my steel from a place I found in the yellow pages. I don't know enough about grades to be giving out advice.

I have just returned from a fastener supplier we use at work (Rudd Industrial Supplies - Kewdale/Welshpool) and they are flogging 2nd hand dexion type shelving (2000x500x1800....ish) for $50/ea.

Ask for Graydon - They have plenty out the back at present but they are going quick(4 sets in an hour n half).

No affiliation other than I use the company for work to buy fasteners and tools.....not shelves......I'm just looking out for a brewing bargain for the sandgropers - take it or leave it.

Pic taken from mobile....may be a bit dodgey...
Image021.jpg

I have just returned from a fastener supplier we use at work (Rudd Industrial Supplies - Kewdale/Welshpool) and they are flogging 2nd hand dexion type shelving (2000x500x1800....ish) for $50/ea.

Thanks Chilla!

Rang them and spoke to a guy who said they had about 8 left (but seemed confident that they'd still be there tomorrow). For anyone interested, their contact details are as follows:
Rudd Industrial Supplies
Unit 5 9/13 Kewdale Rd Welshpool WA 6106
ph: (08) 9353 3525​
I might take a trip down there tomorrow to check them out...

Ask for Graydon - They have plenty out the back at present but they are going quick(4 sets in an hour n half).

No affiliation other than I use the company for work to buy fasteners and tools.....not shelves......I'm just looking out for a brewing bargain for the sandgropers - take it or leave it.

Pic taken from mobile....may be a bit dodgey...
View attachment 11167

looks like a bargain!!! plenty of material there to make a great stand!!~

Grab

Back