Brew Recipe (newbie)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfc_ozzie

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Have been playing around with the excel sheet on this site to come up with a better IPA, the one i made recently just doesnt really have any hoppiness to it, It was;

1.7Kg Thomas Coopers Indian Pale Ale
1.0Kg Light Dried Malt Extract
300g Dextrose
1 x Morgans Tea Bag Hops - Fuggles
15g Brew Cellar English Ale Yeast

Now i was trying to mimic a James squires IPA, today i bought a bottle of it, mine was slightly darker, way more carbed and when it came to hoppiness, it had hops but didnt really notice till after i had swallowed it, more of a malt flavour than anything, which is slightly sweet. So i played around with the excel sheet to get a list of ingredients;

1.7Kg Thomas Coopers Indian Pale Ale
1.0Kg Light Dried Malt Extract
1.0kg Wheat dried malt extract
500g Dextrose
With the hops i was going to boil 30g of hallertau hops for 20 minutes and another 20g for the last 10 minutes in about 2 lirtes of water to start with. (what can i say i love the german hops, not really a traditional one for a IPA)
once cooled was going to add S04 yeast

Total volume would be 22 litres and ferment for min 7 days.

Now do you think this would be a closer match to a nice hoppey IPA, have been trying to find some recipes for one but couldnt so played around with the spreadsheet for like a hour.

Cheers for any helps guys :)

Not one to really be able to help on styles, flavours and the like but I think I'm liking the strong hippy beers. I just finished a lcpa recipe which was awesome and last night I brewed a pale ale with 100 grams of hops boiled and is apparently awesome.
Chris

Not one to really be able to help on styles, flavours and the like but I think I'm liking the strong hippy beers. I just finished a lcpa recipe which was awesome and last night I brewed a pale ale with 100 grams of hops boiled and is apparently awesome.
Chris
100g was gonna do that but when i had put that in noticed the red dot on the excel sheeet was way on the hop side outta the box, might consider it though as where im buying from they only sell 100g as the smallest amount

Look for Niels centenarillo recipe is what I just brewed

if it was me then assuming you liked the first one the stick with the same malt list and boil 20 grams of ekg for 30 mins and add around 30g loose into the fermenter for a dry hop. also it might be worth trying a good liqued yeast such as wyeast 1968 or whitelabs 002, i have found the so4 to finish sweet and i think the brew cellar is the same yeast repackaged. i dont think hallertau would go well personally and would be best saved for a lager.

The Thomas Coopers IPA is a good can but I think is hopped with Styrian Goldings or East Kent Goldings but don't quote me on that. I don't think Hallertau would be that good in the mix maybe somebody else could suggest an alternative.

For a good U.K. style IPA I would suggest a higher AA hop such as Target or Fuggles and up your boil times by another ten minutes from your schedule to get some of its bitterness in there. Your malt additions should help balance the bitterness nicely.

Reminds me I need to do an IPA again I have only once achieved the bitterness I desire.

P.S. for best hop utilization add 100g of the malt extract to 1 litre of water and boil that up with your hops. Boiling in just water tends to bring out harshness.

Cheers guys thanks for the tips, i will change the hops to Fuggles and have changed it to a 30min boil :) now just gotta order the things i need and can put the brew down, open to any more tweaks any one can recommend

you could also try steaping say 150g of medium crystal for 30 mins at around 65C then straining and boiling with that liquid also. or in addition to the crystal grain you can add 200g of roasted barley for a slight nutty flavour to balance with your hop bill.

just made and am about to start drinking a james squires golden ale clone that turned out perfect and wouldnt change a thing. let me know if you want this recipe as it seems your a james squires fan.

cheers jake.

you could also try steaping say 150g of medium crystal for 30 mins at around 65C then straining and boiling with that liquid also. or in addition to the crystal grain you can add 200g of roasted barley for a slight nutty flavour to balance with your hop bill.

just made and am about to start drinking a james squires golden ale clone that turned out perfect and wouldnt change a thing. let me know if you want this recipe as it seems your a james squires fan.

cheers jake.

Hey Jake, yes i love the james squires range, and would love the recipe for the golden ale would be great to try that one also. With the grains do you think this would be ok http://www.esbrewing.com.au/grain-infusion...0g-crystal.html as this is where i buy most my brew stuff
the closest i can seem to find on there site for barley is http://www.esbrewing.com.au/aromatic-barley-malt-25kg.html

I am tempted to do one with the grains and one with out so i can compare the flavour difference

Hey Jake, yes i love the james squires range, and would love the recipe for the golden ale would be great to try that one also. With the grains do you think this would be ok http://www.esbrewing.com.au/grain-infusion...0g-crystal.html as this is where i buy most my brew stuff
the closest i can seem to find on there site for barley is http://www.esbrewing.com.au/aromatic-barley-malt-25kg.html

I am tempted to do one with the grains and one with out so i can compare the flavour difference

the type of grain you use depends on the type of beer style you are trying to make. i usually use medium to light cracked crystal grain in all of my brews along with others, eg dark chocolate malted grain or roasted barley or just plain black grain for a stout. these grains help balance out the amount of hops you are intending to brew with.

i roast my own barley, its pretty easy. this is the recipe i used for the James Squires "the chancer" Golden Ale Clone. this came out almost spot on when i tried it at 6 days in the bottle. i havnt tried it since but im guessing i will be pretty happy with the out come.

1kg body booster (coopers Brew Enhancer 1)
coopers yellow draught Kit
200g Roasted barley
150g Light - Medium crystal
50g dark dry malt/or 150g light dry malt (for colour only really)

6g pride of ringwood @ 10 mins
4g Amarillo @ 10 mins
4g Cascade @ 10 mins
6g pride of ringwood @ 5 mins
4g Amarillo @ 0 mins steep for 40 mins
4g cascade @ 0 mins steep for 40 mins

Dry hop 4g amarillo
dry hop 4g cascade

use yeast from draught tin. Pitched at 22C degrees.

As for the Roasted Pearl Barley, go to coles and buy pearl barley from the section where you would find all the soup beans and split peas( the pearl barley comes in 500g bags and costs around $1.50 a bag).
i tossed the barley in a bowl with a very light sprinkling of brown sugar and dark dry malt (this just coats the outside for extra caramelisation and is not really needed as i roasted some the other day without any coating and came out great also)
then roast in the oven on a flat tray at 170 degress tossing around every couple of mins untill you get the desired colour you want.
Cool on the tray and place into sterilised jar or container for storage.

this is my roasted barley,

my_roasted_barley.jpg

the type of grain you use depends on the type of beer style you are trying to make. i usually use medium to light cracked crystal grain in all of my brews along with others, eg dark chocolate malted grain or roasted barley or just plain black grain for a stout. these grains help balance out the amount of hops you are intending to brew with.

i roast my own barley, its pretty easy. this is the recipe i used for the James Squires "the chancer" Golden Ale Clone. this came out almost spot on when i tried it at 6 days in the bottle. i havnt tried it since but im guessing i will be pretty happy with the out come.

1kg body booster (coopers Brew Enhancer 1)
coopers yellow draught Kit
200g Roasted barley
150g Light - Medium crystal
50g dark dry malt/or 150g light dry malt (for colour only really)

6g pride of ringwood @ 10 mins
4g Amarillo @ 10 mins
4g Cascade @ 10 mins
6g pride of ringwood @ 5 mins
4g Amarillo @ 0 mins steep for 40 mins
4g cascade @ 0 mins steep for 40 mins

Dry hop 4g amarillo
dry hop 4g cascade

use yeast from draught tin. Pitched at 22C degrees.

As for the Roasted Pearl Barley, go to coles and buy pearl barley from the section where you would find all the soup beans and split peas( the pearl barley comes in 500g bags and costs around $1.50 a bag).
i tossed the barley in a bowl with a very light sprinkling of brown sugar and dark dry malt (this just coats the outside for extra caramelisation and is not really needed as i roasted some the other day without any coating and came out great also)
then roast in the oven on a flat tray at 170 degress tossing around every couple of mins untill you get the desired colour you want.
Cool on the tray and place into sterilised jar or container for storage.

this is my roasted barley,

Cheers for that mate, with the hops is that a 10 min boil and at flame out add the last two and just leave covered for 40 mins? sorry still kinda new to this.

Also while on the topic of hops, i should get a order today of two 100g packs of hops what is the best way to store them now and then again once opened? I was thinking in the freezer and was open split into 10g bags with whats left and store in the freezer, would that be ok?

Cheers for that mate, with the hops is that a 10 min boil and at flame out add the last two and just leave covered for 40 mins? sorry still kinda new to this.

Also while on the topic of hops, i should get a order today of two 100g packs of hops what is the best way to store them now and then again once opened? I was thinking in the freezer and was open split into 10g bags with whats left and store in the freezer, would that be ok?

Yeah mate its a 10 min boil, thought you can do a 20 min if you like. This is the liquid tou have strained and sparged from all the grains and barley that you bring to the boil.

And yes that idea of storing the hops sound pretty good.

Yeah mate its a 10 min boil, thought you can do a 20 min if you like. This is the liquid tou have strained and sparged from all the grains and barley that you bring to the boil.

And yes that idea of storing the hops sound pretty good.

Got some of the barley today, gonna roast some when I put you recipe down, now do I need to crush the barley? And how much water and how long do I steep for?

Got some of the barley today, gonna roast some when I put you recipe down, now do I need to crush the barley? And how much water and how long do I steep for?

Dont know about pearled barley
But toast malt after soaking it water over night strain and
Toast spread out on oven tray @ 180'c until it reaches your liking check and stir every 20 min or so
Keep it in brown paper bag for at least a week before cracking( to avoid tannins )
Also soaked have it in honey and water before toasting works well used it in an APA
Save and boil to sterlize honey/ water Add to brew for last min or so
Will do this with the honey again

When using the pearl barley like this its very similar to the biscuit malts you can by but alot cheaper. Its nothing like the roasted barley you can by from the brew shop as that stuff is black and can make the wort really bittet if too much is used.
With this it is sooooo cheap and you can use as much as you like just gives a slight nutty/bready flavour but i always use this with other grains also.

No you dont need to crush it as its not like using grain and this will break down in steaping to almost nothing. It will look like cooked oats when your finished steaping.

Steap the toasted pearl barley and your othet grains in about 4L of water at a constant 65C then strain and sparge with anothet 2L of water at the same temp. (it helps to have 2 pots for this)

Once sparged bring this liquid to the boil to sterilize the wort then continue the recicpe as mentioned adding your hops, then your sugars at the end. Follow the recipe and you will be suprised how it turns out. I have been drinking a few of the golden ale clones and they are soo close to the original its not even funny.

Cheers and happy brewing (pm me if you need more info on my recipe)

Jake.

When using the pearl barley like this its very similar to the biscuit malts you can by but alot cheaper. Its nothing like the roasted barley you can by from the brew shop as that stuff is black and can make the wort really bittet if too much is used.
With this it is sooooo cheap and you can use as much as you like just gives a slight nutty/bready flavour but i always use this with other grains also.

No you dont need to crush it as its not like using grain and this will break down in steaping to almost nothing. It will look like cooked oats when your finished steaping.

Steap the toasted pearl barley and your othet grains in about 4L of water at a constant 65C then strain and sparge with anothet 2L of water at the same temp. (it helps to have 2 pots for this)

Once sparged bring this liquid to the boil to sterilize the wort then continue the recicpe as mentioned adding your hops, then your sugars at the end. Follow the recipe and you will be suprised how it turns out. I have been drinking a few of the golden ale clones and they are soo close to the original its not even funny.

Cheers and happy brewing (pm me if you need more info on my recipe)

Jake.

Cheers Jake, have saved all your info so i can make one when i save some money up :)

Sweet, hope it all works well for you and let me know how you go with it.

Cheers jake.

Back