Blood oranges , ideas for a recipe ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello . I can get my hands on 12 litre box for 12 dollars at the local grocers . Is an Australian product sunraysia . This got me thinking can i make a alcholic orange drink ie ,like a fanta that kicks . Im all stocked up on cider last few barrels nearly done and was looking for next project .
Im happy for it to be dry . Even bone dry . I likes me cider that way . Should i just treat it like Apple juice ?
cheers .

I've fermented orange juice. It was not pretty.

I'd suggest something with the rinds using another base and just drink the juice.

Right then . Thanks for the prompt replies . That puts that flash of inspiration to bed . Not a big fan of limoncello . Was thinking ,never seen an alcopop orange drink other than vodka and orange udl style or cointreau.
well then looks like soda stream and vodka with a blood orange dash . things aren`t turning out to bad after all . Quickest brew ever :)

Yeah... the only juice that always tastes foul when you ferment it is citrus. I find that adding the zest to a brew gives you a nice citrus flavour without the horrible off juice flavour.

Must give limoncello a try some day.

Cheers
Dave

Edited because I can't spell

Blood orange marmalade.

Awesome on toasted sourdough with fresh made butter.

+1 Bring on the marmalade I use this recipe (pretty much) orange, grapefruit, orange with champagne (or sparkling chardonnay pinot noir Go AUS!) Any citrus you like always comes up great.

Limoncello is easy

A blood orange version would be great

Zest you blood oranges and steep the zest in alcohol for 1 month
Strain liquid - you will find all colur is drained from zest into alcohol

Add alcohol to a sugar water mix (50:50) to achieve your preferred finished abv

I've made JAO Mead with blood orange. Yet to taste it though.

I've used Blood Oranges in Witbier before to good effect. Peel and juice in very late in the boil.

I've added blood oranges to an aged sour/funked old ale with roeselare.
Food wise for bulk stuff I would look at marmalade and/or sorbet. Can't go past fresh juice for a couple of days either

I've made alcoholic lemonade a few times, zest and juice of 30 - 40 lemons for a 23l batch, bit of ginger, sugar and honey to 1045 - 1050,boil it for 20 mins, I use whatever ale yeast I have going, crash chill at around 1.015, let it naturally carb in the keg,then keep it cool so it doesn't ferment out. Delicious, I could see a blood orange / lemon mix being really tasty.

+1 for sorbet. My admin officer at work has expressed interest in testing some orangcillo, if anyone makes some.

... if you're into that sort of thing.

... not that there's anything wrong with that.

Back