Black Rock Whispering Wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitman

Reaction score
As the title suggests, this brew was extremely cloudy when bottling, from the first bottle to the last, have not experienced this before.

Prior to today the tub was kept at stable temp (22-18 deg) using a wet towel, which is the first time i have tried this for temp control, works mint in spring, unsure how effective in summer though.

Used Brewcraft #66 plus wheat beer yeast from Fermentis.

Finished at 1010.

No time in fridge either.

Why so cloudy?

I'm no expert, but isn't cloudy beer a common attribute of weiss beers?

the wheat beer yeasts are not very flocctuant, hence, they stay in suspension. As said above, this is a normal attribute for a wheat beer.

Hitman

I to did a Whispering Wheat whilst K&K brewing. Sounds like it came out similar to mine, cloudy. I wasn't controlling temp with mine at that stage and it fermented up to 24-25' C. Had to much bubblegum/banana flavor, due to the high ferment temp, for my liking.

As for why it is cloudy, not to sure, but I figured that it was actually meant to be this way after trying a few different Weiss style beers.

Drew

Used Brewcraft #66 plus wheat beer yeast from Fermentis.

Why so cloudy?

Thats most likly your issue as WB06 is a low flocculating yeast. If its the Belgian it might not be as bad. The only suggestion is the crash chill to help aid in the flocculation of the excess yeast or just give it time if you do not have the ability to chill.

just give it time if you do not have the ability to chill.

Just want some clarification on this as I'm thinking of doing a wheat beer.

Is it time in the bottle (ie extra conditioning time) or extra time in the fermentor? If its both, then which works better?

Thanks

Is it time in the bottle (ie extra conditioning time) or extra time in the fermentor? If its both, then which works better?
Thanks

Either, obviously if you prime your bottles after you have crash chilled in the fermenter you will get more yeast growth and will have to wait for settling in the bottle too (not to mention carbonation as well). Give it 3 weeks at ambient, dont disturb the bottle and i'd say the beers would be suitable with less yeast. Give it two months if you want them 'krystall' bright. Or just check them by holding them up to light until they no longer look hazy.

bottle a wheat beer and leave it for a month. what do you see? a crystal clear beer!
In germany most people pour out 90% of the beer from the bottle and swirl the last bit to bring the yeast into suspension before adding this to the glass. you can filter a wheat if you want a crystal weizen, personally i prefer the "Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrb" it has more flavour imo

I did one about 12 months back with honey (only have 2 bottles left), Give it time in the bottle and it will clear (said bottles are crystal clear).

Back