Big Whoops With Stout :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrogeek

Reaction score
Well I was putting down a stout today with the following recipe:

Coopers Stout Can 1.7kg
Stout Mix (Dextrose, Grains, Hops, Maybe others) 1kg
500g Dark Liquid malt extract

I simmered the stout mix and DLME in about 3lt of water on the stove for about 20mins then strained into the fermenter. Then I put the stout can in, filled up to 23lts and pitched the yeast (At a temp higher than I liked, 27 degrees). I then took an OG reading, 1037 WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was at this point that I realised that I had forgotten to stir in and dissolve the stout cans contents, I had just poured it in and filled up to 23lts. In an attempt to rectify the situation, and salvage $20 worth of ingredients, I gave the wort an almighty stir, trying to get as close to the bottom as possible. I know it is not good to stir after you have pitched the yeast bit what could I do. I managed to get the OG reading up to 1040, which is still quite low as I expected about 1050. Is there anything else I can do to fix this or should I just wait and see how it turns out?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you'll get away with shaking the hell out of it to get it mixed at this point. It's post-ferment that you don't want to aerate the wort. Shake it now and get it all mixed up, I think that it would probably be OK anyway, as even though your OG isn't showing correctly, the yeast will still find the sugar..they're good like that :)

Its fine to mix the yeast and wort early, as domonsura has said.

If u had grains etc in the stout mix did it say to boil them or soak in water like a mini mash? Probably why the SG was a bit low...

Its fine to mix the yeast and wort early, as domonsura has said.

If u had grains etc in the stout mix did it say to boil them or soak in water like a mini mash? Probably why the SG was a bit low...

It said to simmer the whole pack of stuff for 20 mins, which I did. I am basing my expectation of OG on the calculations done by this brew calculator:

http://www.brewcraft.com.au/wa.asp?idWebPa...p;idDetails=172

It says it should be about 1050. It seems to be bubbling now (after several hours) and I am not concerned about whether the yeast will find the undissolved sugars. I am worried about whether the flavours from the Coopers Stout can will get into the brew. Unfortunatly I cant tell whether it has now been dissolved but I have stirred the crap out of it with my wooden spoon that reaches down to about 5-10cm from the bottom of the fermenter.

Hi astrogeek (nice name, BTW :) )

I reckon it should be fine. When I make mead, I pour the honey directly into the bottom of the fermenter and top up with water, then chuck the yeast in. Different drink, but similar problem. I have found with this method that the yeast sits on top of the goopey honey (aka stout can). The yeast then slowly consumes the goop until its all gone.

This also explains your apparent low OG. Because a lot of the sugars are sitting on the bottom of your fermenter undissolved, you will get a lower gravity reading. So if the recipe predicts an OG of 1.050, then assume this gravity.

Berp.

Hey Astrogeek,

Just an off shoot :)

Next time try a toucan (two can) Coopers Stout. Brilliant! :chug:

Add nothin' else, no dex, sugar, nothin'. Maybe a bit of Corn Syrup, but really not necessary.

Bit strong, but will be ready for the depths of Winter. Keep the ball bearings from freezing. Remember thought that you basically double you IBU, but it really is well worth it.

Oh, and don't forget to stir it. :lol:

If you boil the wort (please don't), you'll have to add back hops - for mine, Fuggles, but the choice is yours.

Well I bottled the Stout yesterday and it seemed to taste good. I will report again in a few weeks when I crack the first bottle.

It's too late now but one solution to your problem may have been to rack it into another barrel after a day or two to ensure it's mixed.

simple solution to stirring the stuff on the bottom of your fermenter

is BUY an long handle plastic stirrer from the home brew shop

cheers/beers dairymaid

Well I cracked a bottle yesterday after only 2 weeks in the bottle and it seemed fairly good. Certainly needs a few months to reach its full potential but I think it will be good. I will post further updates next time I crack open a bottle.

Back