Beertopia 2006 - Melbourne May 12-14

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like fun - is there one in Sydney, anytime?

Cheers - Mike

Why cant there be one in Perth?!! Damn it! hehe :chug:

MVZOOM said:
This looks like fun - is there one in Sydney, anytime?

Cheers - Mike
[post="125568"][/post]​

There was a minor one (not in the scale,nor indoors like Melb's) last year at The Australian hotel on the Oct long weekend in the Rocks.
Heard it may be on again this year too

whoohoo, beertopia was awesome!

I got to try a whole bunch of great beers. Some highlights were:

Redoaks chocolate stout - an absolute cracker. The honey ale was nice too, it won a medal at the world beer cup. Redoak won the best beer of show award with their strong scotch ale, it was all gone by the time I got there. I was most disappointed, they gave me a smell of an empty bottle and it was malty heaven.

Feral brewing company - Saison - they aren't advertising it so make sure you ask. Their wit isn't too bad either.

Matilda Bay had a full compliment of draught beers - including all the brewers reserve range. (dogbolter, barking duck, alpha, sticklers)

Snowy Mountains Pale Ale - a really nice APA, well balanced with plenty of cascade and amarillo.

Someone I can't remember - a fantastic biere de garde and a pretty nice hefe, they were an aussie brewery, awesome to see someone doing some different styles. Sorry I can't remember the name, they have the only biere de garde at the show. It's worth tracking down.

Grain and Grape have a drool-worthy display of HB kit, all sorts of stainless steel and glass and silicone and books and did I mention stainless steel?

I got to meet Luke Scott, the brewer at Potters Tavern in the Hunter Valley, a really nice bloke. He said I could turn up for a tour anytime, awesome. It's only 30min from my place, so i'm heading there for sure.

I also met a number of brewers who were more than happy to talk forever about their beers and brewing in general. This was the highlight for me.

I had a really interesting chat with the Little Creatures rep. I tasted the new Bright Ale and asked her why they felt the need to put such an ordinary beer into their range. It kind of fits in between LCPA and Rogers, but is nowhere near the class of either. She admitted I was right, and said that the brewery was really disappointed at the takeup of Rogers, cause (and I agree) that it is a great beer that they really believe in. So they needed a beer that would be more appealing to the east coast market, as LCPA is a bit too confronting to the average yob due to the bitterness. Hence they made Bright Ale, a pretty average PA with a little dash of the LC cascade nose.

Some not-so-highlights included, the news that Tooheys New won best lager of show (obviously judged by people with no noses), stand after stand of pretty average premium lagers, pilsners and a few pretty ordinary pale ales. Taste as many as you can, the quality beers really stand out.

That's about all I can recollect, i drank plenty of nice beers. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

Back