Beertopia 2006 - Melbourne May 12-14

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little_Squares

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

Just wanted to let you know that the first inkling of Beertopia has begun. They've made some changes this year which should result in a better experience for anyone willing to make the trip (it is worth it if you go to the Friday night session, before all of the terrific and unattainable international beers run out).

Here's the link for anyone wanting a little more info.

http://www.beerawards.com/beerfest2/details.htm

I've been obsessed with Rogue's Chocolate Stout since I tasted it last year, and fully intend on seeking it out again (even if it only got a bronze medal)....... Hope to see some of you there!

Rogue make excellent beers. Dead Guy Ale is an awesome brew. Can't wait to visit the US and check out the not so micro micros.

Looking forward to Beerfest.

Cheers,

Sam

I know Melbourne is a long way to go for a weekend of some of the world's best beers, but I would have thought that someone other than Linz, Sam and myself from the AHB group were going. Unfortunately we're not having the pleasure of Trev and Mrs Trev this year as they've just been down for the Commonwealth Games, but I'd love to see some others there - or hear opinions of AHB-ers who have been before.

Last year was good on the first shift of the first day, but it got overcrowded and rowdy after that.....shame really. Did still get to taste some excellent beers that we can't get here in Sydney.

Pity they've introduced a drink ticket system this year - looks like it's more about making money than getting people into good beer now...

NRB said:
Pity they've introduced a drink ticket system this year - looks like it's more about making money than getting people into good beer now...
I couldn't disagree more. Hopefully this will keep away the dickheads that are just there to get as pissed as possible in three hours, and leave a bit more space to sit, talk to the exhibitors etc. I think it's an excellent move.

Will hopefully get there on the Friday arvo/night session.

Theres only one session on the Friday...5pm - 10pm...

We've already booked tickets to it...But we'll be hanging around Melb touring some of the city micro's on the Saturday (and hopefully Sunday).

Malnourished said:
I couldn't disagree more. Hopefully this will keep away the dickheads that are just there to get as pissed as possible in three hours, and leave a bit more space to sit, talk to the exhibitors etc. I think it's an excellent move.

The sessions have been increased to 5 hours this year, 25 samples for $30. I was at Purvis yesterday and had 20 samples for $10 which was fantastic.

If one's intention is to get pissed, there's better ways to go about it now. But for those of us who would like to sample more than 25 beers it will become a very expensive exercise. I'm all for keeping dickheads away, but I would also like to sample a huge range of beers. Last year they were touting 400 beers, of which half were not there. I definitely experienced more than 25 though and was hoping for a similar effort this year.

NRB,

Did you hit the stalls in the mid section of the event??

All the good stuff was on the long 'unnamed' bar to the left last year...

Trev was there the year previous to that and reckons last year was a poorer effort compared...and even mentioned He was going to fire a very unhappy email to the organisers or the venue

Linz,

I hit every "bar" in the place during the Saturday morning session. I was lured to the event by the "400 beers on offer" marketing and was very disappointed in the quarter that number present.

Like Trev, I send an e-mail relaying my disappointment, but they didn't even have the decency to reply.

I hope that for $30 the samples will be larger than the 45mL offered last year.

In the past the show coincided with the Beer Awards, and it was great. There were many exhibitors, beer and beer related goods and it was held in the newer Exhibition Centre.

Last year was the pits, the only thing it had going for it was the company (hi Mel & Linz :p )

It did turn into a pissup, and a pretty poor one at that. I sent a letter to the CEO of the RAS and didn't even get a reply :angry:

This year we wont be there, just come back from Comms Games as LS has said. Mind you, we organised our own mini beer festival at Bells Hotel one night, with a load of production crew from the BBC who were drowing their sorrows after being appointed to telecast the Bowls rather than the Rugby. Damn fine drops.

Also got up to Red Hill Brewery in the Mornington on the weekend - another great day.

I think the ticket scheme may work a bit better as it will encourage people to try different beers to get 'best bang from their buck'. Hopefully their will be more than just a small handful of Exhibitors.

Trev

PS Doc - the Rugby was great, even if the result sucked :D

NRB said:
The sessions have been increased to 5 hours this year, 25 samples for $30. I was at Purvis yesterday and had 20 samples for $10 which was fantastic.
Me too! I agree it was very good value, but personally something like that doesn't hold nearly as much interest for me because all the beers there I can buy at Purvis anytime. The beer festival offers a bunch of stuff I'd never get to try otherwise, so whilst it's not as good value as it was, I still think it's excellent value. I think this setup will have the big advantage of cutting down on queueing time, but I suppose there's no need to rush when it's a five-hour session anyway. From speaking with one of the organisers a while back it seems like they are very keen to avoid the problems of last year, which is a big positive I think.
NRB said:
If one's intention is to get pissed, there's better ways to go about it now. But for those of us who would like to sample more than 25 beers it will become a very expensive exercise. I'm all for keeping dickheads away, but I would also like to sample a huge range of beers. Last year they were touting 400 beers, of which half were not there. I definitely experienced more than 25 though and was hoping for a similar effort this year.
Yeah now that I think about it 25 beers isn't a huge amount, but you can buy more beer provided you pay for it obviously. I'm with you 100% on the amount of beers available. I think they have that many beers at their disposal (ie. leftover from judging) but how many actually make it out for tasting in any given session is a complete crapshoot. I'm planning on getting around this by going to two or three sessions. :)

I've got my hopes up for this one, but I suppose you never know how it'll pan out.

Quite a few of us NSW Brewers will be there - 5 or 6 of us will be on a stand for the time.

Last year they really stuffed up with the seperate awards then the show - alot of trade related folks could not be shagged going.

So will be interesting to how this year fares.

Scotty
nnlbeersupplies.com.au

Bought my tickets online for this event. Disappointed that at the time of purchasing the tickets, we are told that the tickets will be sent to us by mail. Then, after having purchased them, am notified that the tickets need to be picked up at the event. I'd better not have to wait in a long queue.

Cheers :)

Well,

We got our tickets in the mail today!! Whoo hoo

hols next week!!!! and beerfest the weekend after...too good.

anyone up for a drink and nag on the Sat??(planning on a bit of a crawl round Melbourne brew pubs)

we're going to the Friday night sessions

Linz said:
anyone up for a drink and nag on the Sat??(planning on a bit of a crawl round Melbourne brew pubs)

[post="123762"][/post]​

I am heading in to the Sat session 11 am to 4pm with a few mates and will be keen on a hook up and bit of a crawl around town on the Sat night. :beerbang:

I just spoke to a beertopia promoter and this year you get 25 x 50mm taste test's for your admin charge :blink:
Could not tell me how many types on offer..
They are also selling beer @ 3 bucks each and a bit more for imports so you can get on it if you want a "piss up"
Also if you like some obscure micro brew :chug: you can buy a slab or whatever and they will post it to you.

So a few positives compared to the last time..

Luke

Not sure what session yet - was originally going to go Sat after Melbourne v Dockers - but might go Friday now. Any tips on best days to go?

I'm going the Friday night session, so I'll have to keep an eye out for the Saints fan :)

was gunna wear my crawl shirt...but Now!

see you there!!!

I've just scored tickets to the trade day, woohoo! I'll be there friday!

Back