Beerline Wrong Size.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might go back to KK and see if they have anything with a larger ID.
They do, I have 5mm ID / 8mm OD line and it fits well on the barbed check valves and plastic brumby taps I have (everything else are JG fittings).

But take the fitting and the line in to the shop and have them fit it for you (or just get new line).

Maybe its small ID beerline for short length line (keggerators).

At least one reply based upon experience:

Soak end in boiling water for a minute or so

Be sure to use gloves, line will be hot and barbs are sharp!

Screwy

QD_to_JG.jpg

You can get these from Craftbrewer or others, just push in and your done. Makes me wonder why I haven't got them sometimes.

+1 for Batz' suggestion... these kind of JG fittings also make it real easy to throw a Liquid QD onto the gas line so you can blow CO2 down the dip tube for easy force carbing

OK, point taken Screwy. Since I started the piss take, I went and tried to do exactly what T wanted to. I couldn't get it on either...

The best I did was to flame the barb and push it through. But there is so much plastic on there that the barb ends up carving out a piece of it. Some sort of a proper spreader might actually help.
I've managed to get them on to a brass hose barb of a CO2 reg before, but that is not a big barb I suppose.

Get some push in fittings from KK or get different line.

OK, point taken Screwy. Since I started the piss take, I went and tried to do exactly what T wanted to. I couldn't get it on either...

The best I did was to flame the barb and push it through. But there is so much plastic on there that the barb ends up carving out a piece of it. Some sort of a proper spreader might actually help.
I've managed to get them on to a brass hose barb of a CO2 reg before, but that is not a big barb I suppose.

Remember it being a right PITA to achieve six years ago when I set my system up. Redid the fittings about four times before I was happy with the setup, cut fingers and scalded hands and all. When the kegerator came along and things needed to be changed I bought JG fittings.

Screwy

That was the problem I found. I ended up carving out chunks of the line trying to get the barbs on. Im going to take it back to KK today and swap it over for 5mm or 6mm line. Or maybe those JG push on fittings if they arent too expensive.

Thanks heaps.

When I did mine, i heated the line up, then stuck a big chunky pen in the end (pushed in as far as i could) and left it on the pen for a few mins. Then when i pulled the pen out, the line stayed stretched. A 2nd soak in hot water and the barb went in with no worries.

When I did mine, i heated the line up, then stuck a big chunky pen in the end (pushed in as far as i could) and left it on the pen for a few mins. Then when i pulled the pen out, the line stayed stretched. A 2nd soak in hot water and the barb went in with no worries.

This.

We had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago setting up my brothers Keg King kegerator. Bought all fitting from Keg King, the guy gave us 5mm ID line and either 1/4" or 6mm barbs. It was my fault though as I asked for the 5mm ID line :angry:

Hot water + phillips head screwdriver followed by a plunge into an esky to freeze the enlarged ID did the trick. We needed to run a lighter under the tip of the hose just to get it to butt up to the shoulder on the barb. We needed hose clamps too as the deformation resulted in an asymmetrical cross section and some leakage in the gas line.

a hair dryer works well in heating the line and barb

I don't find a need to "enlarge" ID for barbs. Just boiling hot water, sit the end in and slide it over the barb. Only takes 5 seconds.

This.

We had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago setting up my brothers Keg King kegerator. Bought all fitting from Keg King, the guy gave us 5mm ID line and either 1/4" or 6mm barbs. It was my fault though as I asked for the 5mm ID line :angry:

Hot water + phillips head screwdriver followed by a plunge into an esky to freeze the enlarged ID did the trick. We needed to run a lighter under the tip of the hose just to get it to butt up to the shoulder on the barb. We needed hose clamps too as the deformation resulted in an asymmetrical cross section and some leakage in the gas line.

a hair dryer works well in heating the line and barb

Advice from personal experience, posts such as these are invaluable!

Screwy

Try heating the barb too. Hot onto the cold metal contracts quickly. If you can't get it on with just hot water (my ID is always 2 sizes too small for my barb), i'd get new line. I'm not interested in creating internal scratches in lines, or using a heating device [hair dryer] to get line over barbs. The cleaner in me wants no scratches or marks, and the tin foil hat in me doesn't want to use high heat on plastic then drink liquids from it.

Acts eating some humble pie on my last attempt, I gave the needle nose pliers suggested here a go. Just to make it interesting, no heating. At all. I bet it will be 10X easier with heating in water first.

2f53aa7b.jpg

And for the pedantic, size of barb:
32b31bc4.jpg

Be a man. And put your apron on!

Latest posts

Back