Beer Not Carbing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rimrunner

Reaction score
situation is i put on two batches of esb 3kg a while back. i took no readings but it was in the primary for 4 weeks, it bubbled nicely but fairly slowly due to the coldish weather we had a while back.

bottled both batches with carb drops 2 to a pet tallie. it's been nigh on 4 weeks now and there is absolutly no fiz in either of the batchs. it's not that cold and i would expect if it wasn't completly attenuated that it would overcarb and not undercarb.

the yeast cake was very thick the beer exceptionally clear for a kit but no bubbles.

any suggestions?

What temp are you storing the bottles at? It may be a little too cold to get the yeast working?

What temp are you storing the bottles at? It may be a little too cold to get the yeast working?
Bring a few inside, give them a shake, leave them in the kitchen near the stove.
See what they are like in a week.

Bring a few inside, give them a shake, leave them in the kitchen near the stove.
See what they are like in a week.

Yep, this is the solution. Had the same prob a couple of months ago and this fixed it right up.

Shake the yeasties back to life, let em warm up for 7-10 days above 20 degrees and you'll get bubbles. Then they can go back to cool conditions for further storage.

mate they are the right suggestions. dont shake the shit out of them though, roll them like you would a coopers pale ale before drinking (if you like your coopers pales like james bond). Perhaps turn them upside down and then back and put in a warm place.

Also before doing that, check if there is a sediment forming in the bottom of the bottles that are fizz free. If there is a yeast sediment you could just be losing carb from unsealed bottles?

Back