'Beer Machine'?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rest_assured said:
Ok, today is the day. I still can't stomach the idea of using powder, so I'm using an el cheapo kit. Ill chuck in some hops for good measure, got plenty in my freezer. I expect results in a few weeks, will report back!
Took me a while cos one of the parts (seal) was missing.
One feather in the cap of the beer machine, I emailed them to locate the part and they sent it free of charge!
I do not understand why you would be worried about using powder

I do full extract brews all the time

LDME
Dextrose
hops
dry yeast

and water

Yeah beer god, just doesn't seem right. Does it turn out ok?
Well I've been sampling the brew every day for about 3 days, and honestly it isn't bad.
In fact, I like the beer machine. In saying that though, by no stretch of the imagination Is it worth $100+.
It definitely won't replace my AG brews, but I will use it alongside- perhaps even as a little 'party keg'.

In case anybody wants the recipe I used, here it is. On the cheap, didn't cost much more than $10-12 (bought the hops in 100g though). All up less than $20 including the $5 i payed for the beer machine! Not bad!
-I used a whole tin of tooheys draught kit
-boiled about 10g cascade hops for about 15 mins in a litre of water
-mixed the hot hop mixture and the kit in the bottom of the beer machine
-filled to the line with water (10L)
-bunged another 10g dry hops in for good measure
-just used the yeast from the kit
About 19-20 degrees for about a week before taking it down to 2-4 degrees to let it carb.
Cos it was only 10L didn't need to add any other fermentables, the sugar from the kit is enough cos obviously it is designed for 23L.

In fact it might be the best kit I've made.
A lot of people I've seen online bitch about the beer machine, but most problems (as far as I can tell) are either due to poor sanitisation or not sealing the unit properly. If you sanitise properly, and test the pressure with water before brewing, you will do ok.
Probably still not worth what they charge though, and obviously not great for serious brewers.
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back