Beer Line - what diameter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are starting out, you may as well keep it simple and work up from there. Bronco/picnic taps are very cheap so you are not going to waste much cash if you later upgrade. Plus you can still use them for.... picnics.

So my basic set up has 5mm ID line (1.5m long), bronco/picnic taps, barbed connections with clamps. Works fine.

Trick for pushing the line onto the barbs is to soften the end of the line in very hot water, then push long nose pliers into the end of the line to open it up a bit, then onto the barb.

Correct. Line shown in picture is not valpar. It's opaque in colour. I have ordered online and purchased in the shop on different occasions.

John Guest reducing straight connector. JG Part number PI201210S. Available from Bracton, Lancer, Andale etc.

3/8" side will take commonly available nylon multilayer barrier tubing that is 6.35mm x 9.5mmm. 5/16" side will take commonly available nylon multilayer barrier tube that is either 4mm x 8mm or 5mm x 8mm.

If you are using a softer 6mm x 10mm tube to go over 6mm QD barbs, use one of these on the 3/8" side:
This part finally came and I was expecting it to just slot over the barb, but it was too big.
Is that where the nylon multilayer barrier tubing comes in (I'm assuming this is just beer line?) Do I slot that over the barb and then push in the connector?

The barb is 7mm - i'm using 4mmx8mm tube

This part finally came and I was expecting it to just slot over the barb, but it was too big.Do you mean that the barb was too big for the tube?
Is that where the nylon multilayer barrier tubing comes in (I'm assuming this is just beer line?) Do I slot that over the barb and then push in the connector? I was suggesting that you run a very short piece of 6mm or 1/4" ID tube off your keg QD, into the 3/8" side of the JG connector, then your 4 x 8mm tube into the 5/16" side of the connector.
Give me a ring if you like, I can explain what I mean in better detail. If you are short a fitting or two, I can probably mail to you mate.

The barb is 7mm - i'm using 4mmx8mm tube

Ah right OK, I thought the connectors went straight onto the barbs... do they always go onto a short piece of tube or are there some that go onto the barb?

I will go to grapeandgrain at lunch to get a bunch of the regular connectors for 8mm -> 8mm line :)

John Guest reducing straight connector. JG Part number PI201210S. Available from Bracton, Lancer, Andale etc.

3/8" side will take commonly available nylon multilayer barrier tubing that is 6.35mm x 9.5mmm. 5/16" side will take commonly available nylon multilayer barrier tube that is either 4mm x 8mm or 5mm x 8mm.
Quick question for you .... tried this one on the weekend with a 10mm hose on one side, 8mm stainless tube on the other. The 10mm side leaked out of the fitting where the grey part pulls out. Would this be because the fitting is busted, or is 10mm the wrong size tube?

Cheers!

Quick question for you .... tried this one on the weekend with a 10mm hose on one side, 8mm stainless tube on the other. The 10mm side leaked out of the fitting where the grey part pulls out. Would this be because the fitting is busted, or is 10mm the wrong size tube?

Cheers!
Yes mate, If you used the part number I quoted above, the OD of the tube needs to be 3/8", or 9.5mm.

Are you using 10mm OD, or ID tube? I can send you a tube to hose fitting that is barbed, but you still have the flexibility of removing and reattaching without removing clamps or cutting tubing.

I will PM my phone number to you, as I have changed my number recently if you wish to discuss mate.

I don't know if this makes it easier, or confuses the matter...

T2H_Joiner.jpg

This is similar tubing to what you have described to me via PM. The OD is 10mm, ID is 6mm. There is a tube to hose stem going in to the JG connector, with the barbed end inserted into the hose and the stem part going in to the reducing adaptor. I didn't photograph it well enough, but at the end of the reducing joiner is 5mm x8mm tubing going straight in without a tube to hose stem as it is JG friendly.

***Tube to hose stem is pictured in post #18

Goddammit you'd bloody said that and I didn't see it! looks like exactly what i needed

"If you are using a softer 6mm x 10mm tube to go over 6mm QD barbs, use one of these on the 3/8" side"

Goddammit you'd bloody said that and I didn't see it! looks like exactly what i needed

"If you are using a softer 6mm x 10mm tube to go over 6mm QD barbs, use one of these on the 3/8" side"
:fallingoffchair:

I thought you may have missed that!

I'll put a couple of bits'n'pieces in a post bag if you PM a good mailng address mate.

Latest posts

Back