Bar World

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo9

Reaction score
There's a chain called Bar World which sells all beer & spirits paraphernalia - t-shirts, glasses etc. Anyhow the local one to my work in Werribee vic is closing down and selling off gear cheap. They are selling some American made beer kits (just add water & yeast) for $10 (down from $40) but they only make 10 litres. I was a bit skeptical and haven't bought any yet. A kit and kilo is still cheaper per litre - so my point is were they just ridiculous at $40?

Has anybody tried them?

Jim

I looked at the same ones the other day. For mine they looked like that had been sitting around for a long time and with the range of kit and kilo's avail not worth the risk in my book. If any thinks they are ok I would try but the 10ltr mix put me off.

Drop 2 in your fermenter and for $20 a full malt beer. Not bad value; a decent kit with 1kg LDME and hops, etc will cost that. I would just check the dates, ensure they are no 100 years old. (if they were 100 years you could ebay them?) If they were fairly new cans and local to me I would buy heaps of them to play with.

QldKev

Good kits are easily worth $20 for 20litres.
I used some Out of Date stuff to make a wicked belgian strong ale.

Ive used a can that was well over 7-8 years old, and it came out pretty good, I mixed some honey with it to try and compensate for the age but it turned out to be some of my mates favourite beer! Strange huh?

I ended up buying some of these. They are 2 lb bags of powder with a sachet of yeast inside, sell by date 2010. They are just called "Beer mix" and are designed to be put in a 10 litre fermenter that can be pressurised - www.beermachine.com is their website.

From what i can make out the natural carbonation pressurises the beer when dispensed but this needs "topping up" with C02 cartridges. Sounds interesting but im not sure how clear the beer can be - wouldnt the pressure stir up the yeast cake?

jim

Back