Babbs August Meeting And Agm

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Babbs has always awarded medals in our own club comps but this is the first year that we have aligned them to BJCP score sheet scoring guidelines (see lower left hand of BJCP scoresheet http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf ) which we think awards the members adequately for their efforts although they haven't placed. Each receive a"Highly Commended"certificate.

HD

Well done to everyone involved! Am also looking forward to hear about that trip, seems almost like the price had been specifically chosen for Browndog, couldn't suit any better.

I have to say I was pretty stoked on the night, getting medals for three of my 6 entries. But now looking at the full results I'm more so looking forward to next years comp. I didn't realise on the night that I had three 4th places as well, with one of them only a quarter of a point (!) behind RdeVjun. Pretty happy with that.

Nick, that Rauchbier was excellent, have been talking to some Germans from Bamberg on Sunday at a BBQ, and the topic arose, so had to mention your version. They were pretty surprised that anyone in Australia would have even heard about Rauchbier, let alone brew one.

Hear hear, Florian! Some classes were very closely- contested, 1/4 point was the difference between a place or not in two classes, plus often less than a point separating placings, so very much on a knife edge where minor faults or subtle features may have made the difference.
I've also just noticed that the Champion Novice won the Belgian and Farmhouse Ale category, plus a second in Specialty and bagged five medals, so some excellent novice results and very well done! :super:
Now, I'm not in any way having a whinge, but I guess some more awareness on my own behalf about the Champion Stoutmaker award might help the decision- making in future, being the newbie I really didn't give much thought to the Champion sections of the comp. I probably would've entered two in that category if I'd thought a bit more about it. Its all in the Schedule though, so my own blue for not looking at it closely enough.
One other aspect of comp entries is degassing, perhaps at one of the ordinary meetings we could have a bit of a discussion and/or demonstration of how to do that correctly? One of my entries was pinged for low carbonation, that's what I'd hope to avoid in future.
It was also fascinating to hear some insights in to making that peculiar Berliner Weiss plus try that delightful Munich Dunkel, so thanks very much Florian. Oh yeah, that first- placed Rauchbier we had on the night was just superb too, nice one Nick. :icon_drool2:
Thanks again to everyone concerned, its a fantastic comp and great club to be involved with. :icon_cheers:

Thanks guys, totally stoked with my first. As I think I mentioned on the night, I've done 3 Rauchbiers ever (in about 8 1/2 years of brewing) and each one has been good. The smoked malt I used in this batch was getting a bit long in the tooth - somewhere between 12-18 months old - but the end result is much more subtle than my first attempt, and much more balanced.

Again, well done to all the winners and place-getters, and awesome work by Ben to get the results up on the BABBs site.

Any plans to publish them on here mate?

Cheers

Back