Babbs August Meeting And Agm

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bconnery

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score
Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers (BABBs) monthly meeting will be held Thursday August 25th, 2011 at Lynndon Bowls Club, Galsworthy Street, Holland Park, Qld.
Arrive 7:30pm for an 8:00pm start.

This month's meeting will feature the 2011 Annual General Meeting, followed by the Presentations for the recent 2011 BABB's Annual Competition.

As is traditional for the AGM, there will be an interesting selection of international beers for members to sample, supplied by our friends at Craftbrewer.

We look forward to seeing you there...

Are we still right to bring along the QABC entries at this meeting? I recall something about this being ok... but not 100%

Are we still right to bring along the QABC entries at this meeting? I recall something about this being ok... but not 100%

Yes, most certainly. Entries can be dropped off for the QABC at the meeting alternatively Saturday 1pm is the last day they can be dropped off at the shop.

Congrats to Browndog! Off to the US as BABBs champion brewer! Well done mate! From all accounts, your winning IPA was an absolute cracker!

Cheers

Thanks Nick, I still can't believe it. I can't say I've heard of an amateur brewing contest anywhere in the world with a prize this good. I'ts one thing to brew a good beer, but that's only half the battle, you need good judges to be able to recognise it and I applaude BABBs for the way our meetings are structured to draw interest and encourage members to learn about judging. I was very impressed with the spread of the places between old hands and new comers, it is a good omen for BABBs going forward.

cheers

Browndog

Congrats to Browndog! Off to the US as BABBs champion brewer! Well done mate! From all accounts, your winning IPA was an absolute cracker!

Cheers

Indeed couldn't happen to a nicer bloke (well maybe except for me :beerbang: ), anyway being a long time member & as of late an absent attendee I was truly in awe of the depth of talent that has developed over the years. Going into the last round several brewers were into contention of the top prize. In respect to the depth of brewing all the brew systems were represented with a good showing by the "bagmen".

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Only question that I have is Beer camp like band camp?

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Full results are/will be available online??

Congrats on the win Tony... A trip to the US couldn't have gone to a more appropriate brewer.
Well done.

Congratulations again Browndog; very well deserved!

Cheers,
tallie

The full results will be in the next newsletter but I'll check to see if we can have them posted on the BABBS site too.
Will it be available in the public or private areas of the site?

Congratulations to Tony, from all accounts it was a cracking IPA. I think in future we might have to restrict BABBS to Brisbane people only hey? :)

And also congrats to the new President. Thanks to Ross for all his work.

It was also great to see BABBs guys who are fairly new to the comps picking up gongs and plaques, for example Florian, RdeVjun and NickB. Plenty of new blood coming up.
Now for the State and Nats :icon_chickcheers:

ps: nice win for your BIAB entry Nick :icon_cheers:

It was also great to see BABBs guys who are fairly new to the comps picking up gongs and plaques, for example Florian, RdeVjun and NickB. Plenty of new blood coming up.
Now for the State and Nats :icon_chickcheers:

ps: nice win for your BIAB entry Nick :icon_cheers:

Was that for the AIPA Nick? Noice.
Edit: If I don't get to CB in the next hour or so I'll be out of QABC as well :(

A great big well done to everyone involved, all the medal winners, place- getters, trophy holders, everyone who participated can be proud of their efforts this year and of course congratulations to BABB Champion Brewer 2011: Browndog! I'm sure you'll enjoy that truly amazing prize, it sounds like beer heaven! :icon_cheers:
Many thanks of course to the sponsors, organisers, BABB executive, judges and of course the members who help keep it all afloat- this year's comp has been a real success. :beer:
As one of the bagmen, I'm pretty chuffed with six medals from the maximum six entries, two thirds and the first for Pale and Bitter Ales. I didn't even dream of this kind of result, thanks indeed to all those who have been helpful, encouraging and supportive all this time and I'm really looking forward to doing it all again next year. :beerbang:

Was that for the AIPA Nick? Noice.

Yep, got a silver and a second place behind Tony's 45-point IPA. Stoked! 4 medals out of 6 entries, plus a win in the specialty category with my Rauchbier.

Cheers

Well done to all involved, especially Tony... can't wait to hear about the trip. Awesome prize.

Yep, got a silver and a second place behind Tony's 45-point IPA. Stoked! 4 medals out of 6 entries, plus a win in the specialty category with my Rauchbier.

I'm pretty stoked with my results too, didn't expect to do anywhere near as well as I did. Even got a medal for one that made its way into the wrong category somehow (smoked porter became wood aged :p).

As one of the bagmen, I'm pretty chuffed with six medals from the maximum six entries, two thirds and the first for Pale and Bitter Ales. I didn't even dream of this kind of result, thanks indeed to all those who have been helpful, encouraging and supportive all this time and I'm really looking forward to doing it all again next year. :beerbang:

Way to go RdeVjun!! Was a bit scared to ask...
I reckon its far more rewarding than speaking to a room full of boffins about DR ? (in joke folks)

So just so I understand "two thirds and the first for Pale and Bitter Ales" = 2 X 3rd and 2 X 1st - does this leave 2 X 2nd as well?
How bout some photos & recipes?
Well done,
mckenry

Way to go RdeVjun!! Was a bit scared to ask...
I reckon its far more rewarding than speaking to a room full of boffins about DR ? (in joke folks)

So just so I understand "two thirds and the first for Pale and Bitter Ales" = 2 X 3rd and 2 X 1st - does this leave 2 X 2nd as well?
How bout some photos & recipes?
Well done,
mckenry
Why thanks! Yeah, BABBs was indeed the most rewarding part of my week, that's for sure. Mind you, showing up at the DR session without a hangover after that Tuesday night Wig and Pen session was up there! :super:
Now, medals are awarded purely on points is what it boils down to, the beers are awarded a medal based on their score (aggregate). So in my case there's 3 * bronze medal scores, all of them 'highly commended' but none had enough to place in the Class, eg. the Munich Helles was 37.5 points which is enough for a bronze but not enough to knock off other competitors from the placings in that particular Class in the comp. I think the boundaries are 30- 37, 38- 44 and >=45 for bronze, silver and gold respectively (corrections welcome). Mind you, with the two thirds and one first I'm not complaining as that was far beyond my own expectations! :icon_chickcheers:

Back to all that DR crap tomorrow, rolling out more gaffa tape, applying bits of chewing gum and string as usual... :angry:

Latest posts

Back