Aussie Bush Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verysupple

Supremely mediocre brewer
Reaction score
Hi all,

A while back I went to the Lark distillery in Hobart and tried their "Bush Liqueur" which was fantastic. It's made "using only handpicked wild mountain Aromatica" (pepperberries) and really smelled and tasted like the aussie bush. So it got me thinking I could make an aussie bush ale using McCormick's Bush Spices (lemon myrtle, mountain pepper and lemon aspen). My question is when should I add it? I've seen Hoegaarden recipes that steep cracked coriander seeds in with the crystal grains. Is that the way to go?

Cheers in advance :icon_cheers:

EDIT: typo

Hi all,

A while back I went to the Lark distillery in Hobart and tried their "Bush Liqueur" which was fantastic. It's made "using only handpicked wild mountain Aromatica" (pepperberries) and really smelled and tasted like the aussie bush. So it got me thinking I could make an aussie bush ale using McCormick's Bush Spices (lemon myrtle, mountain pepper and lemon aspen). My question is when should I add it? I've seen Hoegaarden recipes that steep cracked coriander seeds in with the crystal grains. Is that the way to go?

Cheers in advance :icon_cheers:

EDIT: typo

There is an Aussie lemon myrtle craft beer, can't remember which one though.
Anyway why not give it a go, perhaps just add a pinch to a bottle and give a few weeks before trying it.

Here it is

http://www.aclandcellars.com.au/beer/baron...le-witbier-beer

I've got a lemon myrtle bush, making tea with 5 - 10 fresh leaves and adding to a brew gives a great refreshing lemon / spice finish. Barons did a lemon myrtle beer, not sure if they still do.

Thanks guys, you have both given me ideas. I'll add a little to a couple of bottles and see what happens. I'll also make a few teas of varying strengths to get in the ball park and add the best one to a mini batch to ferment. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

The Woolshed Brewery make a dark beer with roasted wattleseed. Not sure where in the process it is added, but perhaps send them an email?

From the website: "In August 2011 we released out second brew 'Judas the Dark'. Our dark ale is brewed with locally grown native roasted wattleseed and has a very unique flavour"

I've tried it and it isnt too bad, probably not something I'd seek out, but at the same time I'd drink it again.

Barons did a few, wattle seed ale, lemon myrtle wit and another one with bush plums ... not my gig on the whole ... anyway

Check out the ingredients of the mccormacks first, its probably mainly salt with a small portion of the bush spices.

Most likely is blended with Salt.
If so, pour into a glass of water and skim your spices off the top.

health food shop my have unblended spices of interest.
2c

Thanks seamad and Muscovy for the salt tip. I've been busy lately but will check it out soon and start testing.

The Baron's Wattleseed used to be on tap and the Duck and Swan in Inner West Sydney. Was a fantastic beer. Light on the bittering, with this beautiful creamy, almost chocolatey malt flavour. Hasn't been there for a couple of years, but wow, what a hell of a drop. Really unique.
No idea how they did it, but I know you get the same flavour (milo-ish) just adding the seed to cheesecake. Maybe just steeped with Crystal would be the go, just temp to unlock flavour, but not cooking the hell out of it. Quantity is anyone's guess.

Back