Any 3.2L LX Rodeo owners out there?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp0rk

Mayor of Pooptown
Reaction score
Hi chaps/chapettes,
I'm looking at a few utes in Newcastle on the weekend and just looking for any potential issues
Looking at a couple of B2600i Bravos, but I've found plenty of info on them.
It's an '03 Space Cab LX TF Rodeo with the 3.2L V6 on dual fuel
I've read a few issues with burnt valves if they weren't upgraded or the engines weren't tuned properly when the conversions were done (Holden didn't have LPG fitted from factory for the Thai built Rodeos)
Just wondering if anyone here owns/has owned one and can offer any info?

Or if there's anyone in Newy with a ute for sale under $6k, let me know

Cheers!

Rodeos are a great car, reliable and tough but they love the juice, I had one years ago but it was the 2.4L 4 cylinder one toner and it use to suck more fuel than my v8 commodore! In saying that I've never owned a v6 rodeo but I heard they were basically the same!

Other than the newer Hiluxes, I'm pretty sure all utes chew petrol pretty badly
I think it's just something I'll have to deal with

I had a 3.2L V6 petrol Rodeo
Sold it as it kept me poor in fuel
I`ve had thirsty v8`s cheaper to run than it
But in the short time I owned it I had no other issues

I had a dual cab V6 Rodeo of that vintage for a company car.

Wasn't paying for fuel so I flogged the crap out of it. Regularly saw redline.

The knock sensor went and it was pinging like crap but it was being traded soon so the boss told me to just keep driving it. So I drove around caning a knocking Rodeo. Nothing bad happened.

The only bad things I remember are that the rear drum brakes lock up under spirited braking and I used to lock the keys in it as there was no central locking.

As has been said, if you can afford the fuel they are a solid vehicle.

Don't have much experience with them but as an ex-Ford lubey can vouch for the PJ/PK Ranger as a pretty reliable car if looked after. Probably won't find one for under $10k.
A good Ba/Bf Falcon ute can be found for the price you're after. Factory LPG were pretty reliable.

I'd be wary of any AM duel fueler personally, especially with high K's or unknown service history. I wouldn't wanna have the heads done on a modern V6.

We had one for a work ute years ago, and if you hadn't noticed already, they're gas guzzlers par excellence.
If you'll constantly be driving loaded or like towing stuff, you cant go past a diesel in terms of fuel economy.
With a budget of 6k however, you'll be looking at a unit with plenty of K's under its belt, not necessarily a bad thing so long as the servicing has been kept up to scratch.

And it hasn't been previously owned by dammag..

After reading a bit more about petrol consumption, burnt valves and the pain of working on the 3.2, I think we might leave it alone

Looking at a 99 Bravo on saturday that's had an 180,000k 05 engine swapped in (old engine cooked a headgasket) with an extra long tray (yay, more motorbikes can fit on the back)
We'll probably only keep it for a year or so until I get confirmation that work's keeping me on after my contract, then get a loan for a new ute

Thanks for the info lads!

Back