Antivirus Programs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nod 32 i have use don windows and bit defender but im with bonj and stu use linux instead of windows less chance of virus

+1 to linux. I use both windows/ubuntu dual boot. only boot into windows for Battlefields 2 :)

+1 to linux. I use both windows/ubuntu dual boot. only boot into windows for Battlefields 2 :)

+2

Ubuntu. Even my kids can use it (5 and 7) Go on. You'll never look back.

If you want to switch to Linux, I can highly recommend Ubuntu also. It does come with a steep learning curve for hardened Windows users, but like AG, you'll never want to go back. I'm happy to help you with the switch if you want. I've been running Linux since 1998. Unless you have very specific requirements for you PC (like playing windows games), you'll find an alternative for just about everything you do now. I can confirm that Beersmith runs well under Linux through Wine.

and promash works well under wine as well

Well, after looking at all the good info supplied here and checking out links and websites, Ive decided to go with a freebie, Avast. It has the most features available that I've seen so far and the FULL version is completely free for private use. I uninstalled NOD32 and after installing Avast, it rebooted the computer and did a search with the PC in boot mode and found a heap of stuff that NOD32 hadn't detected. I guess time will tell how it goes over the long run, but with the protection I have now, I feel pretty confident to start Bpaying and what not again. Besides, if anyone was going to get my account numbers, they would have them by now :blink:

cheers

Browndog

cautionary.png

Anyone got a decent firewall they can recommend?

I used to use zonealarm but someone bought them out and it is no longer free.

I have used comodo, but it seems to be resource hungry.

Short of restarting a past a career and setting up a freeBSD firewall on a separate box can anyone suggest a decent free firewall like zonealarm used to be?

I have used comodo, but it seems to be resource hungry.

Short of restarting a past a career and setting up a freeBSD firewall on a separate box can anyone suggest a decent free firewall like zonealarm used to be?
I found comodo to be quite frugal on resources, but then again, that was probably 3 or 4 years ago. Go the freeBSD :D It will be infinitely more configurable than any free firewall for windows, and won't slow your PC down at all. :p

I found comodo to be quite frugal on resources, but then again, that was probably 3 or 4 years ago. Go the freeBSD :D It will be infinitely more configurable than any free firewall for windows, and won't slow your PC down at all. :p

Probably right, I feel I am starting to lose my Un*x skills (haven't played with BSD for about 10 years) and a central firewall, file and print server would be quite handy.

Kirem, I think zonealarm is still free. Seems you can download it here for free to me. I've got it and it seems to work well although it's a pain sometimes to find out which programs it's blocking.

Back