American Brown Ale Receipe Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure on a kit that uses munich malt in it, normally just see it separate. Maybe some oktoberfest kit or somethnig?

I just have Briess munich LME.

Same hops yourself? Or different ones altogether? I am going to do another batch this weekend, may mix it up a little!

Similar. I have Cascade, CTZ and Calypso.

Took a gravity reading last night - down to 1014 - wow, it's amazing, tasting absolutely fantastic!!!

Very nice brown ale characteristics coming through, a bit of a nutty flavour and a nice moderate mouthfeel to boot!

Will leave it rest for another week and then keg and bottle it.

Put down a second batch of this as well, couldn't help myself.

did you stick with your original recipe?

might have to give this one a go.

I'm gonna do something similar this weekend. Any chance there's a kit that uses Munich malt in it rather than the Coopers Sparkling kit? Absolute doesn't carry Munich extract and I can't be arsed doing a mash until I set up my new brewery.

Otherwise, I'll pretty much follow this recipe, but with more hops.

Hi Josh

A tad late so maybe you have already done this.

Last case swap i snuck a kit beer in without letting the lads know. 1st kit beer i had brewed in 5 years. It was an ABA/AAA of sorts.

Coopers Sparkling kit
Coopers wheat malt extract
250g TF dark crystal
250g JW roasted malt
CTZ @10, 0 and dry hop ~1g/L each addition from memory
Coopers yeast (WL009) - i had just racked a dark ale so figured why not.

I let the cat out of the bag after several of the lads had complimented me on the beer. They were shocked it was a kit.

I felt it was a tad thin but then i did up the volume to 23-24L to try and get enough bottles. 20L would have been on the money.

Food for thought and will do it or something similar again as I am time poor and it was a tasty drop.

Cheers
DrSmurto

did you stick with your original recipe?

might have to give this one a go.

Here's the recipe I put down

Malts:
1 x TCS Coopers Sparkling Ale
1.5KG Briess CBW Munich Malt Extract LME
0.25KG Light DME

Grains:
Medium Crystal 120 250g
Carafa 2 1100 200g

Amarillo 20g 5 minutes
Cascade 20g 5 minutes
Amarillo 10g dry hopped
Cascade 10g dry hopped

OG 1.053
IBU 33.3
EBC 48.2

Safale US05

Smurto: I find the sparkling ale is the best kit to use as a base, made plenty of good beers with it!

Hi Josh

A tad late so maybe you have already done this.

Last case swap i snuck a kit beer in without letting the lads know. 1st kit beer i had brewed in 5 years. It was an ABA/AAA of sorts.

Coopers Sparkling kit
Coopers wheat malt extract
250g TF dark crystal
250g JW roasted malt
CTZ @10, 0 and dry hop ~1g/L each addition from memory
Coopers yeast (WL009) - i had just racked a dark ale so figured why not.

I let the cat out of the bag after several of the lads had complimented me on the beer. They were shocked it was a kit.

I felt it was a tad thin but then i did up the volume to 23-24L to try and get enough bottles. 20L would have been on the money.

Food for thought and will do it or something similar again as I am time poor and it was a tasty drop.

Cheers
DrSmurto

Cheers DrSmurto.

I did an APA first, so I guess I will follow up with this recipe and re-use the yeast. Wyeast 1272.

Okay, I've got this chilling down at the moment.

20L
Coopers Sparkling kit
1kg dry wheat malt extract
250g TF dark crystal
250g JW roasted malt
CTZ, Cascade & Calypso 1g/L each at 5 and 0 mins.
Wyeast 1272

Nice :D

My brown ale finished out at 1014 and has been dry hopped since - ready to be bottled and kegged at the end of this week before I head off on holiday!

Well I have tried it for the first time, and let me just say - I am glad I have 46 litres of this - it's amazing!

Thanks everyone for your input, especially manticle! Tastes like a Brooklyn Brown Ale! I know they use Willamette not Amarillo but that's my impression.

Great nose, nice bitterness backed by a nice nutty/roasty flavour. All in all, my favourite beer yet, will be making this again!

It's not as dark as the pics suggest, just my shitty apartment lighting!

Here's some pics:

Zl3Bt.jpg

And the colour:
qhP81.jpg

Glad Shane's teeth worked out for you better than they worked out for him.

Save me a pint.

Glad Shane's teeth worked out for you better than they worked out for him.

Save me a pint.

Well he did end up with nice new pearly's! I will have to do a white IPA - Shane's NEW Teeth next!

I will definitely save ya one, let me know when you're organising a brew day etc and I will pop around!

Well he did end up with nice new pearly's! I will have to do a white IPA - Shane's NEW Teeth next!

If you're referring to this:

s1.jpg
I'm pretty convinced that was a photoshopped hoax.

He certainly forgot to put them back in when he played at festival hall anyway.

Is it just me or does he look mildly like Steve Buscemi in that pic?

He does, which doesn't bode well for Mr Buscemi - and he does have new teeth! Got them a couple of years ago but doesn't sing with them. They are creepy as all get up.

Latest posts

Back