Amber Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrChoat

Reaction score
Hi all, I got a few in me yesterday and decided to throw together a random recipe with what I had laying around.

3l boil for 40min, 1/3 tin of extract in boil.

1.5kg Morgans Amber LME
1kg DME
500g Maltodextrin
500g Dextrose

40m 10g mosaic 11%
30m 10g cluster 7.9%
30m 10g centennial 9.9%
20m 15g cluster
20m 20g centennial
10m 25g cluster

Dry hop 35g Amarillo 10.7%

Topped up to 21 l
Pitched US05 starter
Currently brewing at 20C

OG 1056
FG 1010 expected

Tasted alright going in, good aroma too, just gonna have to wait to see how those hops go together.
I'm kind of aiming for something close to pintail pale ale but its probably going to turn out a bit darker and sweeter because if the shortish boil, but I'm OK with that. Just interested in what anyone thinks about the recipe.

Ebc says 11.9 on the brewers friend calculator, but is looking more like its in the 20's by sight.
IBU 56.2 from the calculator.

Forgot to mention this is a first for me, I've been doing some kits and bits and some extract recipes but haven't tried putting one together like this.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything that could wreck it but the taste test and aroma were both positive.

I just went and got a shot glass of it to make sure. The aroma so far is caramel, grapefruit and pine, taste is like citrus and resin, also fruity and not at all bitter until it hits the back of the tongue.

Looking forward to see how it tastes when some of the sweetness ferments out.

MrChoat said:
Hi all, I got a few in me yesterday and decided to throw together a random recipe with what I had laying around.

3l boil for 40min, 1/3 tin of extract in boil.

1.5kg Morgans Amber LME
1kg DME
500g Maltodextrin
500g Dextrose

40m 10g mosaic 11%
30m 10g cluster 7.9%
30m 10g centennial 9.9%
20m 15g cluster
20m 20g centennial
10m 25g cluster

Dry hop 35g Amarillo 10.7%

Topped up to 21 l
Pitched US05 starter
Currently brewing at 20C

OG 1056
FG 1010 expected

Tasted alright going in, good aroma too, just gonna have to wait to see how those hops go together.
I'm kind of aiming for something close to pintail pale ale but its probably going to turn out a bit darker and sweeter because if the shortish boil, but I'm OK with that. Just interested in what anyone thinks about the recipe.
Not sure about the Cluster but can confirm that Centennial & Amarillo are a marriage made in heaven

stewy said:
Not sure about the Cluster but can confirm that Centennial & Amarillo are a marriage made in heaven
Yep, I'm liking Amarillo. I racked this off yesterday and I could drink it from the fermenter, these hops seem to go well together but will hold off till couple of weeks after I keg it before I say its a success.

Latest posts

Back