Alternative To Carafa 2.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roast Malt / Roasted barley added to mash @ mash out will give colour but no flavour
I also read somewhere about boiling Roast malt/Roasted barley for the same result
Maybe in a hop sock or something until you get colour your'e after
Hi Helles, is this your experience? I've recently made a BIPA with a fair whack of Cara spec 2 at mashout to get the colour I wanted. I got the colour ok but also a fair whack of roast flavour one week into the keg. At the moment it tastes like an American stout. The flavour is now starting to round out but I think next time I will try the cold steep method.

Truman - search for 'grain comparison' chart on ahb. Should help
Yup midnight wheat is a great sub as is sinnamar if the sinnamar hasnt been watered down. We uaed a tonne of it in our laat batch as it musthave been diluted and was shit. Undiluted sinnamar should be used sparringly and works a treatt.

Yup midnight wheat is a great sub as is sinnamar if the sinnamar hasnt been watered down. We uaed a tonne of it in our laat batch as it musthave been diluted and was shit. Undiluted sinnamar should be used sparringly and works a treatt.

That's E150 isn't it? Same stuff that makes Coca Cola black?

Thanks mate that will come in very handy. Cheers

slightly off topic..

Isn't Caramalt just an "umbrella" term for all of the Crystal Malts? or i have i got that wrong.
:icon_offtopic:

BB Caramalt. I believe Joe White also do a Caramalt. But yeah, I have heard it used as an umbrella term, so you should clarify it.

Cheers,
tallie

That's E150 isn't it? Same stuff that makes Coca Cola black?
AFAIK Sinamar is mashed, boiled, and fermented carafa special. And it is processed in that manner so it can pass the Reinheitsgebot.

Whereas the caramel colorings are made with ammonia/sulfuric acid.

So's reading all the posts. Post 22. There are grain comparison charts on ahb ;)

Maybe, somewhere. ie following your refernece to post I used the suggested search function of AHB with first, the terms "grain comparison" as recommended in post #22; and then "grain comparison chart". Perhaps you would like to try it too and see if you get a direct link to a chart. I didn't. So in an attempt to assist the OP I included three URLs to charts which I have bookmarked. RHAHB

Maybe, somewhere. ie following your refernece to post I used the suggested search function of AHB with first, the terms "grain comparison" as recommended in post #22; and then "grain comparison chart". Perhaps you would like to try it too and see if you get a direct link to a chart. I didn't. So in an attempt to assist the OP I included three URLs to charts which I have bookmarked. RHAHB
Here u go champ. Results for grain comparison chart http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...arison+chart%5C
2nd result and onwards. 3 charts.
Rdwhahb

Back