Air pump broke just before aerating imperial stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker9

Reaction score
On the weekend I was finishing off an RIS (OG 1.105), went to get my air pump and realised that the plastic fitting onto the pump was snapped off. To get the brew on I transferred 6 times between 2 fermenters to aerate with the intention of getting an air pump and giving it a top up.

I came back about 3 hours later with new air pump and it already had a huge krausen on it so I didn't add any more air.

Do you think that there is likely to be some negative effects from under aerating? I pitched a big yeast cake from a pale ale that was brewing since last week hence the very quick activity.

With an OG of 1.105, but for the (early) krausen, I'd aerate with the new air pump within 18 hours of pitching.
Aerating twice within the 18-hour limit is recommended if pitching at that OG.

Three hours to krausen? Never experienced this myself even using an air pump back in the day.
What yeast?

The book "Yeast" is a highly recommended buy & well worth the investment. No affiliation whatsoever.

Pitching it on to another yeast cake you probably don't have to worry as much about growing yeast, but I reckon in all honesty transferring back and forth between fermenters would have done an alright job and tbh even without a serious amount of oxygen a beer like this one ought to have been OK since it went on another cake.

3 hours is pretty good to see krausen in any case so I think you'll be fine.

Good luck it's never good to see something like a RIS similarly large brew go wrong.

jbaker9 said:
jbaker9, on 30 Oct 2016 - 9:14 PM, said:

I pitched a big yeast cake from a pale ale that was brewing since last week hence the very quick activity.
Apologies re my original post.

Note to self --- Read all of topic before responding. :D

Thanks for the tips. At the time I broke my air pump I was planning to give it another shot of air. I didn't procede based on articles advising to only do extra air before high krausen. I was just worried that insufficient oxygen would be a problem. Thanks for putting my mind at ease damoninja.

Back