Ag Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angry

Reaction score
First post on this forum but posted on others and been lurking here for a while.

Brewed my third AG brew a couple of weeks ago and as the title suggests it was The Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale as authored by Ross of Craftbrewer. (who assures me it will taste great when I ordered my ingredients) ;)

Due to an unexpectedly good efficiency (84%) and a better than expected conversion by the yeast (us-05)(may have been the rehydration) I have ended up with a brew of about 5.8% alc.
Not really complaining but just didn't expect it to ferment out so well. OG was 1050 and expected a FG of 1012 or so (4.9%) but ended up with an FG of 1005 (5.8%).

It was in primary for a week, in secondary for a week and is currently in the fridge in preparation for arrival of my co2 cylinder for my new keg system that Santa bought...woot! (that's why I'm gonna marry this one!)

Anyway to the questions.

How much cooled boiled water should I add to the 24L brew to drop it to around the 5% mark or should I just leave it be and practise my alcohol tolerance?

And when the new co2 bottle arrives I was intending to use the set and forget method of carbonation (i.e 300kpa or so for hrs then reduce to pouring pressure) so wondering what pressures, method etc to use to achieve the best carbonation level for this particular beer? Something light and easy to drink seems to be the essence of this recipe.

Thanks in advance to any replies

I think adding more water to the brew now would make it too thin, especially since it finished at 1005. I'd just drink it as is, maybe a bit slower than you otherwise would have.

What temp was your mash? A similar thing happened to me on my first AG (only hit about 63C and got close to 80%) and ended up with a ~5.6% beer instead of the ~4.8% that I was aiming for. Increased my strike water a few degrees from then on and have been much more consistent since then.

From what I worked out you need to add 4 litres of water to turn you 24 litres of 5.8% alcohol beer into a 5% alcohol beer.

Turns it 4.97% beer actually - can send you the excel file I made for it if you want

I think adding more water to the brew now would make it too thin, especially since it finished at 1005. I'd just drink it as is, maybe a bit slower than you otherwise would have.

What temp was your mash? A similar thing happened to me on my first AG (only hit about 63C and got close to 80%) and ended up with a ~5.6% beer instead of the ~4.8% that I was aiming for. Increased my strike water a few degrees from then on and have been much more consistent since then.

Mashed at around 63-64C. This was intentional as I wanted to lighten the body to make it a bit more of a session beer. Looks like if it is a session beer could be a rowdy session. :party:

From what I worked out you need to add 4 litres of water to turn you 24 litres of 5.8% alcohol beer into a 5% alcohol beer.

Turns it 4.97% beer actually - can send you the excel file I made for it if you want

Quick replies on this site!...and varied advice too. lol.

Do you think it will lighten the body to much considering I would be adding nearly 17% of the volume in additional water?

Oh, I was just telling you how much water you need to make the beer 5% alcohol.

I wouldn't bother adding any water at all and just drink it how it is...I think it would maybe a bit watery and have a lighter body...

You could chuck 600ml in a long neck, add 100 ml of water and 3 grams of sugar....that should give you an indication of how it would have turned out if you had added the water...

Just drink and enjoy it - after all tis the season to be merry! Don't worry about adding any water. Wish I could get those efficiencies - mine always end up round the 70% mark....

Be carefull adding normal water to dilute if you want the beer to last a while. The disolved oxygen in the water will help oxidise your beer, giving a sherry, or in bad cases a cardboard flavour to the beer. I guess boiling the water will reduce the DO levels a bit. Breweries pump gass (CO2 or Nitrogen)through the water and take a DO reading before diluting with it post fermentation. Lends the question of using carbonated or distilled water being sufficient???

All that said, leave it alone and enjoy it as it is!

Thanks for the replies. Decided to just leave it be and enjoy as is.

Anyone have any ideas on carbonation levels for this style of beer and what pressures to carbonate with if I use the set and leave method of keg gassing?

Latest posts

Back