aabc and not recognising meads and ciders

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
practicalfool said:
Jeezh, the specialities were bombed with all sorts of infected stuff last time I had the pleasure of helping with vicbrew. Do you really want to be entering meads and ciders in the infected category!!!
Not sure when you helped with Vicbrew,but I had the pleasure of being one of the judges for that cat about 2/3 years ago,and there wasn't an infection in sight ,some absolutely cracker beers were entered. :)

Stuster looks after the NSW comp?

The AABC and those guys from Melbourne, keep moving along, nothing to see ...

toper01 said:
Not sure when you helped with Vicbrew,but I had the pleasure of being one of the judges for that cat about 2/3 years ago,and there wasn't an infection in sight ,some absolutely cracker beers were entered. :)
Can't remember the year, was a while and I was a greeeeeen brewer. There were crackers and a couple of infected if I remember. 'T was the year cm2's chilli ginger beer cost or nearly cost siborg a new watch. Anyway, bit of a joke in there too :)

If enough people contact their State reps with requests to add a Mead and a cider style I'm sure the proposal would be seriously considered, after all the guidelines were changed a few years back to include Australian styles.
I imagine they would be concerned there may not be enough entries to justify including them although now it seems there ae a lot more bewing them than previously.

/// said:
Stuster looks after the NSW comp?

The AABC and those guys from Melbourne, keep moving along, nothing to see ...
he organised it but hes not the nsw rep. big difference.
hence why we had meads and ciders but they are eligible to go to nats due to this

AndrewQLD said:
If enough people contact their State reps with requests to add a Mead and a cider style I'm sure the proposal would be seriously considered, after all the guidelines were changed a few years back to include Australian styles.
I imagine they would be concerned there may not be enough entries to justify including them although now it seems there ae a lot more bewing them than previously.
that the idea i was going for pity they havent updated the contact list since 2009. which funnily enough thats when we last saw our rep

practicalfool said:
Can't remember the year, was a while and I was a greeeeeen brewer. There were crackers and a couple of infected if I remember. 'T was the year cm2's chilli ginger beer cost or nearly cost siborg a new watch. Anyway, bit of a joke in there too :)
Deffo not the year I judged then.Aaah Siborg,haven't seen him around for ages,nice bloke :) .I've got a pet like for the specialitis cat,every judge should have a go at it,you get to try some amazing beers,the indigenous African millet and sorghum beer with a 3 day mash,'numerous decoctions' and enzymes from ripe banana skins for starch conversion was, to say the least, 'interesting'. :D As for cider and mead,I think one issue would be getting good fresh commercial examples to compare against,but I'd love to see them get a guernsey.

Hi,

Not signed onto AHB for years, but one of our club members pointed this post out to me ...

I'm one of the ACT reps - I had a quick look at the AABC website and it looks like the Cider and Mead categories disappeared between the 2002 and 2003 champs (looking at the reports).

I'll raise it with the other state reps for inclusion next year (too late this year as some states have already done their qualifiers). I'll be suggesting that we just copy the 5 categories from the BJCP as they are.

cheers

Charlie

cheers for that, this is the exact thing i was trying to do.
thank you charlie, i look forward to smashing the beers again next year with the next lot of mead.
please let us know of any updates or problems.
cheers barls

Hey, for those who've had meads in state comps, is the bottle requirement the same (500-750) or do you let them get away with less given the likely amount being drunk? I tend to put most of my mead in 250ml coke bottles.

I have a 14% Braggot i just bottled today, it might be worth a look in late 2014 if im lucky.

It does seem weird to not judge them, but if there isnt enough entries, then there cant really be a category. good to hear that something is happening, i am interested in the many varieties of mead, and would love to see some feedback on my own.

Last year I entered done 500 ml bottle don't know what I'll enter this year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back