A Use For Heiniken Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDJ

Reaction score
found this on the Instructables web site, its a "heiny heater made from a Heiniken beer keg, a soup tin, pizza tray, another tin and some heater flue pipe.
heiny_heater_p9ic.jpg

Think I might make a few of these to light outside near the bar during the cold weather, if we ever get any!!

Cheers Steve

P.S. I will probably use some metal mesh over the fire opening to stop hot coals spitting out and burning down my rear deck :eek:

Ive had one of these for years. When you make it use a mega line blade to cut a door and put it on hinges. This way you wont smell like smoke when you use it.

Ive got mine under the back verandah and the flue goes up through the roof. With the patio blinds down its warm out the back all year round.

Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

Image004.jpg

Paul I think yours is a little bit bigger than the one SDJ is suggesting however...

If you going to make one you may as well do it properly and use a 50L keg.

If you going to make one you may as well do it properly and use a 50L keg.

If your going to do it really properly you would use a 44 gallonn oil drum :D ,
a 50 L keg should be filled with beer, not used as a heater :eek:
I was talking about the 5 L Heinys that every body throws out or trys to sell on evilbay and can be made into small shed or garage heaters. :)

I was talking about the 5 L Heinys that every body throws out or trys to sell on evilbay and can be made into small shed or garage heaters. :)

Yes, you can use them for your beer.
You can get replacement/modified bungs like this
And here is the Mini keg gasser unit

More details etc here

mini-gasser_2346_detail.jpg

Beers,
Doc

More details etc here

Brilliant!

I can't understand why these aren't more popular...

Easier than washing 25-30 longnecks, cheaper than a full commercial size keg setup which needs a seperate fridge, big CO2 cannister, etc. Small enough to fit in a normal fridge and drink before it goes off. Surely its the holy grail of home brewing...

Brilliant!

I can't understand why these aren't more popular...

Easier than washing 25-30 longnecks, cheaper than a full commercial size keg setup which needs a seperate fridge, big CO2 cannister, etc. Small enough to fit in a normal fridge and drink before it goes off. Surely its the holy grail of home brewing...

The availability and price of the c02 charges might put people off.

stagga.

stagga.

Perhaps you could fit a ss 4-wheel drive tyre valve to the bung & use a SodaStream bottle ala the garden sprayer units?

TP :beer:

Edit --- The original connector in the bung probably seals better than the tyre valve which should to be disconnected after giving the keg an additional burst of CO2.

To tell you the truth, after persisting with the Tap a draft setup for 12 months, I`m not sure these mini systems are worth the trouble.
There`s more info on the minikegs on NB FORUM, one distributor says the 5l. kegs should only be re used half a doz. times then replaced.
Other blokes on NB saying the keg lining rusts out,others say it doesn`t !! :unsure:
Who knows?

stagga.
by the by, I sold the tapadraft a few months ago, and was pleased to see the back of it. A minimum of $6 for CO2 charges to dispense 18l. of beer, and too much uneven carbonation :(

stagga.

you can buy them from supermarkets like coles and safeway etc. also you LHBS should have them, I know mine does

Aaron

PS. I think the mini keg idea is awesome gonna have to give it a go

More details etc here

mini-gasser_2346_detail.jpg

Beers,
Doc

Nice links Doc B)

and here i was looking at morphing mine into a hopback

cheers

You can get these minikegs in Germany for a lot cheaper for example here
36 Dollar for a fourpack new. Also there is a lot of extras that you can get like different taps systems etc.
You can gas them for example using your Mykegsonlegs bottle or get a pressure relieve rubber stopper to prevent them from going ball-style.
If you could get them here for that price I probably would be using them.

Those ones do not have an inbuilt tap and therefor can be sterilized by baking in the oven.
They recommend that you bake them in the oven for half an hour at 70 degree to sterilize after cleaning.
That way I think the rusting shouldnt be that much of a problem either and you might get more uses out of it.

I have reused some of the 5l kegs that I bought in bottleshops here. The problem with those is that they have an inbuilt plastic tap and hence no baking possible. I found that they start rusting fairly quick and thereby the lifetime is very limited.

Back