A Guide To All-grain Brewing In A Bag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<Snip> ... you end up basically at the Braumeister. (witness chappo's suggestion about re-circulating BIAB systems) So if people are interested in traveling that road - well, the journey is a bit easier if you already have a good idea what the destination looks like.

TB
I resemble that remark!

Well after plenty of umming and arghhing I'm heading down that road. Basically going to use what I already have in the brewery just in a different configuration to suit a more hybred BIAB. Still only for experimental brews but it does make complete sense to me to do it. I guess the purist BIABers will get their knickers in a knot but so be it.

Bought a 20lt Urn the other day just need to sort out the pillow case and the plumbing. Probably will make a little rig for it so I use up floor space and not the premium bench space. Also making it easier to transfer the pump between rigs.

Chap Chap

Bought a 20lt Urn the other day just need to sort out the pillow case and the plumbing. Probably will make a little rig for it so I use up floor space and not the premium bench space. Also making it easier to transfer the pump between rigs.

Chap Chap

so you're going to start a 'brew in a handbag' rig???? :p

does sherman know??

I have read through bits of this thread over the past few months, but really it is just too long. My question didnt really warrant another thread, so I figured I could put it here.

I am planning to BIAB (ish) tomorrow put have no tap on the boiler (50l saucepan). I will be no chilling. What is the best way to get it out of the boiler and into the cube? I have 2m of tubing I use for racking that I got at a LHBS. I am unsure of what else to do/use.
I thought maybe I could sterilise the cube with boiling water (of which I have plenty to fill it) and then just chill the wort in the boiler, down to about 60/70C, in an industrial freezer (also close at hand) and then syphon it out.

Any advice?

Good luck tomorrow O'Henry :icon_cheers:

I think you really need to use silicone hose to syphon very hot wort. Other ones are not rated to the high temp and can give some pretty bad flavours. So, what should you do?...

Just let it sit in the kettle overnight. I occasionally do this and put foil around the lid. Syphon it gently the next morning, gradually lowering your syphon until it stops running clear and then pitch your yeast as soon as you can. This works fine.

Look forward to hearing how you go,
Pat

Hey PP. Thanks for the reply. If I let it cool partially and then cubed it, would this work? Can't really leave it to sit out and cool naturally in the pot... I might have to give it away, rather than waste all my time and ingredients on a bung batch. Should just do it when there are no time restrictions on the stove...

Hey O'Henry, please don't give it away mate, you have a couple of options!

I can't see there's a great deal of difference cooling the wort in a pot or a NC cube, either naturally or assisted/ forced. Basically both methods rely on sanitary cooling, NC has the advantage of remaining sealed until it is needed. Putting hot wort into a cube thoroughly sanitises it though, whereas the pot is sanitary from a hour or more of boiling.

I actually cool my stockpot in the laundry tub most of the time and then pour it out through a sieve (catching whole hops and some break) into the fermenter the next day when it has cooled and then pitch a starter into freshly- aerated wort. The pot needs a lid, but as PP says, some foil will suffice and this skips the cube entirely. So, for now you could do much the same with your pot in the freezer? Or just do as you've suggested, chill it in the freezer and then syphon it into a sanitary cube (BTW, yes, hot water is OK, don't forget the lid and seal too! I often do...), but I'd chill it a bit further so the hose can handle it.

It sounds like you only have access to the stove/ kitchen/ whatever for a short while, in which case, NC is probably the best way to go, but to do that in the long run you'd be better off with the silicon tubing and if you can fit a tap to the pot it would be easy as, but this may not be an option so syphoning would be the way to go.
If your pot was smaller I'd even suggest just pouring it into a NC cube while hot (with a funnel and sieve), but this is only likely to work safely with a smaller pot. I did this for ages with a 20 litre stockpot and found that HSA, at homebrewing scales, is just a load of old rot...

Hope it works out for you! :beer:

[quote name='O'Henry' post='538807' date='Oct 18 2009, 11:07 PM']I have read through bits of this thread over the past few months, but really it is just too long. My question didnt really warrant another thread, so I figured I could put it here.

I am planning to BIAB (ish) tomorrow put have no tap on the boiler (50l saucepan). I will be no chilling. What is the best way to get it out of the boiler and into the cube? I have 2m of tubing I use for racking that I got at a LHBS. I am unsure of what else to do/use.
I thought maybe I could sterilise the cube with boiling water (of which I have plenty to fill it) and then just chill the wort in the boiler, down to about 60/70C, in an industrial freezer (also close at hand) and then syphon it out.

Any advice?[/quote]

Here are some shots of my pot, I have used 1/2 inch brass all thread and 2 flanged nuts, cut up some of the wifes tupaware to make washers. Others I know have cut washers from leather gloves which has worked as well. Inside is a brass 1/2 inch compression fitting and some flexible brass tube. I have fitted a stainles tap but a brass one would have been fine. I then use silicon hose to fill my cubes no chill. All of the parts will be available from your local plumbing shop.

PA190146.JPGPA190150.JPGPA190151.JPG

I found a source for material in my country and I took photos of a sample do you think is this good for Biab?
photos
photos2
photos3
photos4
I believe it is nylon or polyester and it is a very fine mesh cloth in some pictures are more magnified than looking by eye

DSC00054.JPG

I found a source for material in my country and I took photos of a sample do you think is this good for Biab?

It looks about right. Cannot say for sure with out a reference. Post a picture with a ruler so we can see what the mesh looks like. Then we can say for sure.

Hi All,

Tomorrow I will brew my first AG (Scottish Ale 70) using BIAB as my method of choice, ever since reading a little article about it in BYO magazine earlier this year and reading most of the posts on the web site since with great interest. If it were not for BIAB I would probably still be Extract focused.

Will report back in the coming days on my experience.

Regards,

texasranger

Been procrastinating long enough, so will be doing my first AG this week, as soon as I get the last of
my ingredients from Ross :) Hopefully haven't left it too long for an nice German Bock for Chrissy.

Opened the first bottle tonight from my first biab I posted here a little while back... Good lord am I happy with myself right now.

Honestly, best beer ever! Now to plan the next one. Anyone thinking of ag biab, get into straight away... No regrets. Got the bag sewn up now by mum, who did a great job. Column shaped with elastic drawstring and 8 tabs for lifting wet grain. Also got my SS pulleys and cleats for the new rig made from some steel shelving from bunnings ( will have to post pics soon of the new rig )

Well done argon, there will be no looking back for you now!

Just got back from Spills and TB's demo at Grain and Grape this morning. Really good demo, I think around 10 showed up. I reckon myself and 9 others will be jumping right into BIAB after Spills and TB's excellent demo. I had no idea all grain could be that simple.

Got my Swiss Voil from Spotlight. Burner and 50 litre pot in the next few weeks and i'm away!

Just got back from Spills and TB's demo at Grain and Grape this morning. Really good demo, I think around 10 showed up. I reckon myself and 9 others will be jumping right into BIAB after Spills and TB's excellent demo. I had no idea all grain could be that simple.

Got my Swiss Voil from Spotlight. Burner and 50 litre pot in the next few weeks and i'm away!
Elbow...i was there too...which bloke were you ?
Ferg

Opened the first bottle tonight from my first biab I posted here a little while back... Good lord am I happy with myself right now.

Honestly, best beer ever! Now to plan the next one. Anyone thinking of ag biab, get into straight away... No regrets. Got the bag sewn up now by mum, who did a great job. Column shaped with elastic drawstring and 8 tabs for lifting wet grain. Also got my SS pulleys and cleats for the new rig made from some steel shelving from bunnings ( will have to post pics soon of the new rig )

Hi Argon,

Great to see that you are very happy with your first BIAB. I am a few weeks behind you, given I only brewed up last weekend. A few questions for you (& wide community), if you don't mind?

1/ Did you No-Chill ?
2/ Did you get a significant about of suspended material?

While a considerable amount has already fallen out (Brew: Scottish ale 70) during the first week of fermentation, I can only guess that it will take a considerable period to fully clear.

3/ If so, how long did your beer take to clear?

Just interested more than anything at this point in time in your answers to see if what I am seeing is in line with others BIAB experience?

Latest posts

Back