6 years since my last post! I'm BACK!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
Just thought that I should say hello again. I have managed to get brewing again after a six year break. Kids have grown up a little and I have some (albeit a little) spare time now. I am aiming to go all-grain within 12 months. Just made my first kitless stout with : Dark liquid Extract, roasted barley (steeped), flaked barley, ringwood hops, lactose.
Bubbling away nicely in the cellar. I love that sound :)

Next up is a Wheat Beer. Anybody got a good recipe? The wife has requested a clone of Cascade Blonde - not a bad beer.

I live in Hobart and I seem to remember there are a few brewers kicking around down here...

If you are asking a Tassie-wide question, the number of brewers here has increased significantly, bolstered by mainlanders who already brewed (some award-winning) on the Mainland (cue lighthearted bashing).

There are a considerable number of all-grain brewers and the brewing scene here is slowly building up.

Welcome back dibby33. There are plenty of brewers in the Hobart area. You should be able to get some great advice from them and help you move over to all grain. If not, well the NW coast is very friendly, so we will help if all else fails. Just be wary of those Launceston brewers :D
I can't really help much with the Cascade Blonde recipe, but the standard reply is always "Sanitation, ferment temperature and good yeast"
From the cascade site it says
"Our American-style wheat beer is made using 50% wheat and 50% malted barley; which gives it a light complex flavour. The citrus hop aroma comes from the Cascade hops added in the kettle and whirlpool. It's lightly cloudy." 15.5 IBU
Check out the Kit and Extract spreadsheet in the Extract/kit forum. Once you work it out it is easy to use.
Something like this might be ok, but I havent tried Cascade Blonde, so it is only conjecture.
1.5 kg wheat extract
1.5 kg LME (light)
0.5 kg ldme

Boil 5 litres of water and add the ldme
Add 15 grams Cascade hops for boil for 60 minutes
Add 10 grams Cascade hops for the last 10 minutes of the boil.
Strain hops when transferring to the fermenter.
Rest of brew as per normal.
I would ferment with US05 yeast.

Hope this helps
Cheers
LagerBomb

Hi Dibby33! Welcome back. There's quite a few of us around here. I'm in Blackmans Bay, brewing AG with BIAB. There's plenty of good advice on the forum for going AG and if you want to catch a brew in person you're welcome to come around sometime and help out with a brew.

Thanks Lager Bomb. I might use that as a starting point. Need to do some research....

BrewTas - I might take you up on that offer in the near future. :)

I have found some old beer kegs for sale - $30 each, look to be in good condition. Was thinking about buying three of them for my brew system - is this a good idea?

Eek - wrong wording - my learning curve is steep again!

The barrels that the breweries use - not the kegs that are used for the soft drink syrups...

Back