50l Keg As Fermenter...what Lid?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huge benefits - can be scrubbed clean - very clean - doesn't break down - doesn't absorb smells

personally I am sick of plastic fermenters. They are very permeable - I have abandoned the typical 'fermenter' style container altogether - now using food grade buckets with a siphon - much cheaper - smoother walls for cleaing - no dodgy taps threads - those crapo $30 fermenters should never have been sold for beer IMO. Still dreaming of a SS fermenter (non conical - where would I put the bugger )

Lou

Each to their own i guess ?
I dont scrub my food grade fementers, never had a leaky tap.
Six lightweight fermenters stored when i need them.
Give me a conical plastic fermenter and i will be very happy !

:beerbang:

Here are some pics of the fermenter I'm currently making , still have to drill a hole for the air lock and give it a clean.

What Piccys ? - I can't see any :unsure:

lou

The moderators took my pictures off because they showed brand names I will re-post them shortly :unsure:

Here are those edited pics for ya lou. (and anyone else)

edited_5049.JPGedited_5050.JPGedited_5051.JPG

I've got a couple of 50L kegs and an angle grinder, hmm

These have had me curious for some time. Would they make good fermenters? :unsure:

Warren -

page_14_bottom_web.JPG

The ones I have seen Warren have been bloody expensive. They are used a lot as Olive oil containers. Seen them at CellarPlus in melbourne and they were quite dear. If you were going to go this route you might as well get a 50 or 60L stainless steel pot/kettle and ferment in that (and boil in it when it's free).

Or, ferment in corny's. I wish we could get the 10 gallon corny's over here like they have in the states. That's your problem solved in one go. SS, push beer under CO2 etc. I have seen one that was used for cleaning the beer lines in a pub. If I could pick the damn thing up I would grab it but full of cleaner :( Kidding. But that is the only one I have seen in Australia. They would be the holy grail of stainless fermenters if you weren't going to a conical.

Back