3787 Krausplosion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drtomc

Fermentationist
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well, for a birthday brewday on Melbourne Cup day, I brewed a Belgian dark strong:

Batch size 23L

OG: 1.100
FG: 1.017
Mash efficiency: 65%

1kg Belgian pale malt
1kg black glutinous rice

8kg Belgian pale malt
200g Caraaroma
200g Melanoidin
1kg dark candi syrup (during fermentation)

501g EKG (6.5% aa) at 90min (25.3 IBU)

Boiled rice to a pulp, then when cooled to 72C, mashed with 1kg pale malt for 90mins
(while grinding remaining grain in large wall mounted coffee mill - by hand).

BIAB mash in 30L water at 63C for 90 mins, mashout at 78C, bucket sparge with further 5L.

90min boil.

NoChill.

I brewed a Belgian pale ale (was lazy - used a Candian Blond tin + 1kg dry malt extract - was going to brew "properly" but ran out of energy) to grow the 3787.

Pitched at 19C with 2 cups of slurry (unwashed), plus about a cup of loose krausen. OG sans sugar 1.096.

After 12 hours (overnight), about 10cm krausen, with no heating, the temperature had risen to 23C.

After 24 hours, krausen spilling everywhere, still no heating and temperature at 25.6C.

Set temperature controller to 24, and left for a couple of days. After 4 days, (still sans sugar, I'll add that tonight),
SG has dropped to 1.018. The hydro sample tasted fantastic! No sign of hot alcohol, beautiful complex esters, rich maltiness. Just needs the raisin/dark fruit from the candi.

Wow! I've used this yeast before, but obviously not with such a healthy pitch: it's been active, but not like that!

Hopefully, even after adding the sugar, I'll get a couple more points off for FG.

What a ripper!

T.

That looks great man, I love krausplosions! Nothing says yeast is kicking ass then that :p

That looks great man, I love krausplosions! Nothing says yeast is kicking ass then that :p

I've just had an APA with 1056 blow out the top of my fermenter, less than 24 hours after pitching. My starter must have been a good strong healthy one. A good clean and sanitise and a new airlock and all is happy at 19 degrees. The room smells amazing, it now has a lovely hop aroma to it.

:D

JD

The thing that I found surprising was the fairly rapid temperature rise. I've not had one take off quite like that before.

The thing that I found surprising was the fairly rapid temperature rise. I've not had one take off quite like that before.

I must admit I was a little concerned that the fermentation temp would have jumped a bit with such vigorous action but it hasn't budged pitched @ 19 and still there. The last time I had a krausplosion the temp jumped a couple of degrees and I had to bring it back down.

I used a real wort starter this time (I usually use extract), I wonder if this would have contributed to it blowing its top?

Latest posts

Back