2nd Ag-- Whats With Safale Us-05?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeddog

Reaction score
I did my second AG on Saturday and did the no chill method, ( DrSmurto's JSGA, only did a half batch ) didn't pitch the us-05 till Sunday arvo. The OG was 1.053 and after three day she's down to 1.012. It was slow to start but has seemed to go ok since.....i have the wort fermenting at 18c with tempmate

Is this normal for us-05 to ferment so quick?

jeddsog

I did my second AG on Saturday and did the no chill method, ( DrSmurto's JSGA, only did a half batch ) didn't pitch the us-05 till Sunday arvo. The OG was 1.053 and after three day she's down to 1.012. It was slow to start but has seemed to go ok since.....i have the wort fermenting at 18c with tempmate

Is this normal for us-05 to ferment so quick?

jeddsog

Dont know if its normal, but I had my first AG ferment in 5 days using US-05, Ive used it many times before but only with extract and partials. AG does ferment quicker I believe..

I find it depends on the type of beer, how much aeration you used and other things. I did an AG APA a couple of weeks ago with US05 and it took about 6 days to stop being active.

I always leave in the primary for 2 weeks anyway as it conditions and clears really well in this time.

High FAN + good aeration, not overly surprising. as others have said, it can go off quick...

i just shook the shit out of the 12Lt in the 25Lt fermenter for aeration ......

From what I have read about US-05, Apparent Attenuation can vary a fair (72-86%) bit with mash temperature. It is a reknowned workhorse, and IMO a very clean yeast. You are sitting somewhere around 78% attenuation atm and it may take it an extra three or so days to finish if you do end up with 86%.

i just shook the shit out of the 12Lt in the 25Lt fermenter for aeration ......

That will do it :p

My first AG fermented noticibly quicker using a liquid yeast than the kits i used with a liquid yeast.

looking good for my new creation......

Thanks guys

Bloody hot on the Mornington Peninsula tonight!

lovin it..

A decent (i.e. fresh and well handled) Ale Yeast will and in fact should hit close to terminal in three days.
Give it bit of time , a day should be sufficient to clear up any residual unconverted acetaldehyde and unscrubbed diacetyl and all will be apples, well actually if it is apples then you stopped too early if you know what I mean !
If you can crash chill for 48 hours and ..well job done really.

K

Assuming you pitched the whole packet (11.5g) into a half batch its not surprise.

The packet has enough yeast to easily chomp thru a 25L batch.

Assuming you pitched the whole packet (11.5g) into a half batch its not surprise.

The packet has enough yeast to easily chomp thru a 25L batch.

I usually start with both barrels of a Craftbrewer twin pack in a full batch, so 12g in 12l is close to what I do. A little overpitched, I suppose. 50-80g per hl is recommended.

OK..
.i'm pretty tempted to crash chill for 48 hour as there has been no change in SG

Should I?

What temp?...

i can go as low as needed

Not sure if this is a good answer to your questions, but...
... I read on some UK micro's website that they initially condition their ales at about 12 deg (post primary) for several days, then drop it down to cold conditioning temps to settle out the yeast.

Not sure whether this is a better approach than immediate crash-chilling, but they seemed to recon it was ideal for conditioning.

maybe someone who knows the right answer might be able to chime in :p ...

I usually chill down to the temperature that I plan on kegging at, so around 3C.

Hutch, that would be for a 2 stage ferment....2(ish) oelsche before finsihing, put to secondary and cooled to cellar temp for several days to finish, then chilled to drop bright.

so, is Sammy right...chill to 3c?

still not sure what temp to crash chill?

After 7-14 days primary vessel and ferment stable. I rack to secondary vessel and chill to 1-2C for 7 days (dry hop in this vessel).
I think -1C for 3 days is common in micros. So anywhere from 1-3C would be good.
Depending on how turbid the beer looks you could crash chill in primary vessel and then transfer to secondary, this will clear the beer up a bit before the initial transfer. Add Polyclar, if used, as soon as beer has been transferred and chilled in secondary.
Just to finish what my process is: After 7 days in secondary, rack into bottling vessel (bulk prime) or keg.

Back