2000w Element In 45 Litres

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A simple way to lower the waiting time for water to heat in the HLT is to add hot water in the first place.
I run a hose from the laundry hot water tap out to the shed, then I'm at strike temp (with a 2200W element) in about 15 minutes. My volume is only 25L though, so it's not exactly apples/oranges!

I am using a 2400W element in 75+ liters of liquor in the HLT, as well as a warming element in the mash tun as well. At the moment I have to run one at a time, as I don't have a seperate circuit for brewing yet. All in good time, I suppose.

A lid and insulation makes quite a difference. I can't quite get it up to 100c due to the thermal mass of all of that, but it does pre-heat the sparge water nicely, as well as pre-heating the mash water.

Electric is nice if you wire it up to a temperature controller, it just requires a sturdy circuit and good wiring practices to be safe.

Cheers,
Will

I am using a 2400W element in 75+ liters of liquor in the HLT, as well as a warming element in the mash tun as well. At the moment I have to run one at a time, as I don't have a seperate circuit for brewing yet. All in good time, I suppose.

A lid and insulation makes quite a difference. I can't quite get it up to 100c due to the thermal mass of all of that, but it does pre-heat the sparge water nicely, as well as pre-heating the mash water.

Electric is nice if you wire it up to a temperature controller, it just requires a sturdy circuit and good wiring practices to be safe.

Cheers,
Will

... and an earth leakage detection safety switch. If you don't have one, they are a lot cheaper than a slow taxi ride to the local cemetery for your family.

That is very true, Spills. I'm used to calling them GFI's, for Ground Fault Interrupter but I suppose there's a different name for them here. You most certainly want to include safety switches in all of your brew wiring. When there's that much conductive liquid, and grid power, you've got to take care.

Cheers,
Will

I just finished conducting my second test. This time with the keg insulated and a lid on. Still useing a 2000 watt element in 45 litres of water. Shed ambient temp same as first test - 12 degrees

First Test (no insulation or lid)

4.30 - 13.4 degrees
4.45 - 21.5
5.00 - 30.0
5.15 - 38.2
5.30 - 46.8
5.45 - 53.4
6.00 - 59.9
6.15 - 66.2
6.30 - 72.0
6.45 - 75.0

Second Test (insulated with lid)

12.30 - 13.5 degrees
12.45 - 23.6
1.00 - 33.2
1.15 - 42.3
1.30 - 52.0
1.45 - 60.8
2.00 - 69.7
2.10 - 75.0

As the results show it took 35 minutes less to heat to 75 degrees in the second test. Im thinking I might insulate my kettle as well now.

i used 2 2400 w elements in 25 litres mounted close to the bottom of the kettle and it took 20 minutes to get it from 20 degrees to 75 degrees Uninsulated and no lid .. not the same as your test but i think that mounting the element lower could speed things up ...

I've got some figures from my setup, although they're all very round about. last night the hlt was put on the timer to start at 6am. it was pretty well full (so somewhere in the range of 45l). it was outside in the shed and temps dropped to 8.7 degrees (right now actually) so i'd say the water would have started at 9-10 degrees C. 7.10am and it was 68 degrees C after a through stir.

so basically about 45L, raised about 58 degrees C in about an hour and 10 mins. :p

:beer:
I use a 120 ltr S/S HLT insulated with a lid. The lid was custom made to stop condensation forming on the shed roof and dripping back into the HLT. The HLT is fitted with a 2400 watt element controlled by a digital temp controller also a 1800 watt element that I can switch on manually. it takes about 6 hours to raise to strike temp 80 degrees C with just the 2400 watt element. I very rarely use the 1800 watt element.
Cheers Altstart

Takes me about 20mins to get 33L from mash temp to rolling boil with 2 2400 elements. If I turn one off though the boil dies off, so I have to leave them both on (12L+ evaporation over 90mins).
I am also going to insulate my 80L kettle so that I amy be able to get away with just one for the boil.

Back