2 Pot (BIAB - no bag)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleRider

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm looking into getting a setup such as the one shown in the link below which I saw in action at a Grain & Grape demo last Saturday.
They actually did 2 brews on the day. One the "traditional" 1 pot with bag, gas heat way & the other the 2 pot electric immersion heater way (shown below).

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category/QDBAOCJF%20accessories/7BREW%20IN%20A%20BAG%202%20POT%20SC

Interested to see if anyone has any thoughts / experience good or bad with the 2 pot way.

Cheers,

Matt

I don't have experience with the pot in pot method, but the one person that I'd ask for advice about it is G&Gs own Geoff Hammond.

What Geoff doesn't know about BIAB and its variants isn't worth knowing.

Edit: typo

thedragon said:
I don't have experience with the pot in pot method, but the one person that I'd ask for advice about it is G&Gs own Geoff Hammond.

What Geoff doesn't know about BIAB and its variants isn't worth knowing.

Thanks.
Geoff was the one doing the demo!
He seemed to be a fan of the 2 pot unit, especially with an additional immersion element.

Cheers, Matt.

I checked the link, its a good looking kit would you please explain an outline of how it works?

Many Thanks. Aamcle

Look in my signature for the ghetto-ist 2 pot method there is. There's photos in the first few posts and on the last (or nearly there) pages, I posted some videos of my process.

Won awards at QABC in 2012 (now living in Tassie, so didn't get to enter last year) - so, yeah, it can be done.

I prefer the lauter method (bucket in bucket), because it allows me to sparge better (I did sparge with BIAB), and I don't like lifting the bag (or feel like my knots are good enough to hold after a while).

And electricity is cheaper than gas (but the way things are, it's not always going to be that way).

Ask any questions you want.

i've used the 2 pot method 4 times now, the only way i've done AG and it works well for me.

i adapted it a little to no chill, i actually use 3 pots, the 2 19ltr which i throw in a cube and no chill, then i do the hop additions in a little 9 ltr pot and chill it in the laundry sink, figured that way i can be a bit more accurate with the hop additions. i then just mix it all together in the morning and pitch the yeast.

ian4379 said:
i've used the 2 pot method 4 times now, the only way i've done AG and it works well for me.

i adapted it a little to no chill, i actually use 3 pots, the 2 19ltr which i throw in a cube and no chill, then i do the hop additions in a little 9 ltr pot and chill it in the laundry sink, figured that way i can be a bit more accurate with the hop additions. i then just mix it all together in the morning and pitch the yeast.
I nicked Yob's idea of cube additions for no-chilling an APA. Works a treat!

With beer types that don't have hop-forwardness as their trademark, it's always no chill. I only chill if I need to be uber accurate with late hop additions.

Thanks Ian + LRG. LRG - sounds interesting. Will check the videos out.

Aamcle - the process is the same as a regular BIAB except you use the smaller 40L pot, which has holes like a sieve in the base, instead of the bag.
The trivet is there to help drain the 40L pot when you lift it out after the mash.

Cheers,

Matt.

timmi9191 said:
$395 vs $19 big w pot and $10 grain bag.

Will the 2 pot method produce beer which is 13.62 times better??
I'd imagine your calculator would have had a meltdown if I'd mentioned 3V, Rims, Herms, Braumeister or Williamswarn etc etc....

I agree that it's possible to make great beer with a big w pot and a bag: I did, and still do, albeit the pot has been replaced with a 40L urn.

If you reckon that you'll enjoy using the 2 pot set up, and assuming that it's good for making beer, then I say go for it.

There's cheaper ways of making beer (and much more expensive ways too), but if it makes you happy, do it.

Happy brewing. Let us know how it goes.

thedragon said:
I agree that it's possible to make great beer with a big w pot and a bag: I did, and still do, albeit the pot has been replaced with a 40L urn.
I am interested in the $19 Big W pot., Just not sure how it works when it's 19L? (from the online store anyway).
I'm also very interested in the 40L urn setup.
In fact, up until the demo on Saturday this was the way I was going to go & it still may be.
However, at $250 plus for an urn & then a bag on top of that, it's getting up towards the ball park of the 2 pot system.
I've also noticed Keg King sell a 2 pot system, albeit with no heat, trivet or ball valve for $199.

Cheers, Matt.

PaleRider said:
I am interested in the $19 Big W pot., Just not sure how it works when it's 19L? (from the online store anyway).
Do smaller batches, or

Do a full batch but reduce water volume and top up, ie mash approx 4-5kg grain in 12- 15 litres (3l/kg). Boil and top up with water to the desire volume. Or

Get 2 x 19l pots.

I started with option 2. Worked well and helped me with the basics

PaleRider said:
I'm also very interested in the 40L urn setup.
Matt, what option did you end up taking?

Interested in hearing how you went mate.

timmi9191 said:
$395 vs $19 big w pot and $10 grain bag.
Will the 2 pot method produce beer which is 13.62 times better??
Systems are rarely about what makes bettrr beer so much as what suits the individual's needs. Space, time, efficiency, consistency and ease of use may be just as important (if not more so) than cost to many brewers.

Systems are rarely about what makes bettrr beer so much as what suits the individual's needs. Space, time, efficiency, consistency and ease of use may be just as important (if not more so) than cost to many brewers.
Agree. ^^^

Matt, what option did you end up taking?

Interested in hearing how you went mate.
Still looking but currently I'm using 11L & a 19L pot & doing mini mash brews.
Which are turning out great, but brewing in the kitchen & stinking the house out is growing old...
Given that I struggle to find time to brew I'd like to get a system that would allow me to do double batches.
Therefore leaning more towards a 70L (or bigger) pot & gas biab setup.

Cheers, Matt.

Latest posts

Back