2 lt flask $5

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osprey brewday

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1444898938.101200.jpg
Big red k have these atm they look very poor quality,the glass is not clear and bright.u get what u pay for

Sold as a vase aren't they ?
thought that is what i seen

Its cheap.

But probably cant be used on the stove which is the purpose of them.

U could boil in a pot cool and pour it in.

If it isn't marked Borosilcate, ect (and it won't be, at that price), it's definitely not to be heated.

Other than that, it'll work the same as a 'proper' Erlenmeyer.

The convenience of being able to heat sanitise and then cool wort quickly (in cold water) for pitching in the same flask is worth the extra expense, imo.

Danwood said:
If it isn't marked Borosilcate, ect (and it won't be, at that price), it's definitely not to be heated.

Other than that, it'll work the same as a 'proper' Erlenmeyer.

The convenience of being able to heat sanitise and then cool wort quickly (in cold water) for pitching in the same flask is worth the extra expense, imo.
Yep, when you can get a wide mouth 2L or 3L Erlenmeyer flask for under $30 its not a lot more for the 'proper' item

Yep I noticed these in store last night, bloody hell they are poorly made. if you want one, buy the real thing from your local Lab supplier for about $20-30.

Enough said

They must be getting into the meth lab market. As apposed to the home brewery that looks like meth lab.

I wouldn't take much notice of the glass not being clear and bright. I got a 12 pack of mason jars which appeared like that but after a wash they were perfectly clear. Agreed, though, at that price it's unlikely to be borosilicate glass, although not being marked isn't necessarily an indicator. My 3L flask isn't marked but it's definitely borosilicate. It wouldn't have survived its numerous boilings on the stove if it wasn't.

Ok, Rocker, I'll concede on the the occasional absence of Boro/Pyrex markings.

I just checked mine and 2 of my 5 flasks aren't marked (both 3L from KK, I think). All my flasks go straight from the stovetop to cold water baths. Normal glass would split every time with sudden changes like that, so, like yours, they are 'proper' .

I think we should all make the point (which I think everyone here will agree with) to anyone new to making starters, that buying these and using them for heating wort will result in broken glass and a large mess to clean up. I doubt a 'proper' flask could even be produced at a cost of only $5.

Definately a case of 'safe' rather that 'sorry'.

Cheers, Dan

nosco said:
They must be getting into the meth lab market. As apposed to the home brewery that looks like meth lab.
You can almost hear the glass exploding in dodgy metal sheds all over country NSW! Lucky bikies wear shades and leather!

Mikeyr said:
You can almost hear the glass exploding in dodgy metal sheds all over country NSW! Lucky bikies wear shades and leather!
It wouldn't be a Saturday arvo in Queanbeyan without the occasional explosion, some gunshots, dogs barking, sirens wailing.

* plus the C&W tunes my neighbour favours while working on his ute

* plus the C&W tunes my neighbour favours while working on his ute
Hi Ken

That neighbour must have very diverse tastes if he enjoys both types of music.

Edited: So the lookalike Erhlemeyer 2 litre ($5) is designed for the kitchen to keep things like olive oil and salad dressing, the 1 litre ($4) is a vase, and the 500 ml beaker ($5) is a candle. And sometimes I wonder why I get confused!

I had a look and every single one had visible moulding flaws. They could be factory seconds being sold as a different product

Back